How To Build a 4 x 4 x 8 Brood Pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MAllen, Nov 22, 2009.

1. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Evening All,

I needed to build a new brood pen today for a trio of my American Game Bantams. While building it I took some pictures and I've used those to create a "How-To" page here on BYC to share with everyone. If you're interested you can find the page at the following link,

How To Build A Brood Pen

Or you can click on either link in my signature line below and find a link to the brood pen page at the top of that linked page.... ummm, I confused even me... anyway, hope you like it!

Matt

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Great job!

You could probably sell them on Craig's list for $150 each.

Start a business!

3. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I ditto that! Looks like a nice quick build! [​IMG] Thanks for all the measurements and progress pics!

4. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    Very cool pen and could use it as a tractor.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    wow! that is a real nice pen! And very good instructions, even I could follow them! Awesomeness!

6. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Thanks for all the kind comments! It is an easy build and works great for a trio of breeders. A little open for winter time maybe but there are a number of ways that the coop half can be better winterized to keep the wind off the birds, something I'll be doing to the two that I have on the yard right now. If anyone out there builds one I'd love to see what changes or upgrades you make to yours!!

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Absolutely wonderful breeding pen, and an even better instructional web page. Have you submitted this to the coop contest?

8. MAllen

MAllen Get In The Game

Aug 23, 2009
    Claremore, OK.
    Quote:No I've not done that, but I just read the instruction how to submit it so I'll be doing that soon. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Thank you, I will need one of those. Would like to make it a tractor type. What is the weight of it?

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful job (cept I dunno about that chickenwire, but perhaps your particular yard is already fairly predatorproof)... and to have such a well photographed, well written instructional page to go with it... I predict there will (or certainly SHOULD) be a whole lot of people building that for next spring [​IMG] I know I'll be recommending it!

<applause>,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by