1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to build a great broiler chicken tractor cheap (open source)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by omelay, Jan 13, 2010.

1. omelay

omelay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    SW Missouri
    i designed and built a few of these chicken tractors. i know of several other people that also used these simple designs. everyone that has built one loves it.
    i just thought i'd share my experience, failures and successes. plans are free with photos.

open source..
    if you build one please comment on my blog about your experiences improvements, ideas photos too. (the open source part) everyone can learn from others experience and the total contribution will benefit the community as a whole.

http://omelays.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-build-chicken-tractor-cheap.html

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG] Cool. Thank you for sharing this. I use those EMT pipes around my yard. They are very handy. I got the idea from the Square Foot Garden guy. I pound rebar in the ground and put the pipe on it and have an instant fence post for bird netting or a post for garden trellis or a post for shade cloth. They have been very, very handy. I will keep this tractor idea in mind. Light and durable is a combination that is hard to come by. Thank you for sharing! (PS I like the note about the optional 6 year old helper. [​IMG] )

3. ole red

ole red Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    poplar grove, ar.
    that is nice, really enjoyed the link,
    made it a short cut on my computer, so i can check it out more.

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    link didnt open for me, can you send me the link? thanks for sharing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by