how to build a pond

Don't use plastic as their nails will poke holes in it and their constant beak chattering trying to get to the mud will wear holes as well. My best ponds have always been little kids swimming pools with some sort of bricks connected to make a ramp out.

Ours are built on slight hill made of concrete and conected with either a spillway or PVC pipe. We have a 500 gallen tank filled with a pump and the water is gravity fed from the tank to the ponds. This works pretty well for keeping them clean and from freezing in the winter, we only have to clean them once a month. We have a total of 14 hooked together this way but you do need a place for the water to go we have a large pond where it drains.

I don't have this set up, but OldGuy43 has a pump and filter, and you might get some ideas from what he has.

We have well water, and I fill two kiddie pools for our thirteen ducks. Sometimes we can get two days' use out of them. I have them set up so that when I dump them, the water goes into gardens, so it's not wasted.

You might also consider a rainbarrel system to get more water for the ducks without using your well pump. You'd want to filter it and manage it so it doesn't get gucky, but that is not extremely difficult.

Back
Top Bottom