how to build a pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mallard14, Jan 5, 2013.

1. mallard14

mallard14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2012
    Hillsboro Wi
    i was wounderin if anyone has ideas for building a running pond one that water is running the whole time!!!!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How many ducks will be in it?

How large are you wanting?

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Don't use plastic as their nails will poke holes in it and their constant beak chattering trying to get to the mud will wear holes as well. My best ponds have always been little kids swimming pools with some sort of bricks connected to make a ramp out.

4. mallard14

Nov 6, 2012
    Hillsboro Wi
    I WAS THINKING ABOUT 25 INCLUDING MANDARINS AND WOOD DUCKS

5. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    What kind of water supply do you have? Do you have a spring that you could dam up the overflow?

6. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Ours are built on slight hill made of concrete and conected with either a spillway or PVC pipe. We have a 500 gallen tank filled with a pump and the water is gravity fed from the tank to the ponds. This works pretty well for keeping them clean and from freezing in the winter, we only have to clean them once a month. We have a total of 14 hooked together this way but you do need a place for the water to go we have a large pond where it drains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mallard14

Nov 6, 2012
    Hillsboro Wi
    WE HAVE A WELL WATER SUPPLY!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't have this set up, but OldGuy43 has a pump and filter, and you might get some ideas from what he has.

We have well water, and I fill two kiddie pools for our thirteen ducks. Sometimes we can get two days' use out of them. I have them set up so that when I dump them, the water goes into gardens, so it's not wasted.

You might also consider a rainbarrel system to get more water for the ducks without using your well pump. You'd want to filter it and manage it so it doesn't get gucky, but that is not extremely difficult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by