1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How to build an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephanie1992, Sep 19, 2011.

1. how do u build a quick easy and small incubator? what do u use for heating?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    In the Learning center here at the BYC Home page, there are incubator pages. Check out mine, too.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Use light bulb for heat.

4. can u make one out ofa carbord box, a bowl of water and a light bulb?

5. ChristineR

ChristineR Songster

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I've heard of people using a styrofoam or regular cooler. I wouldn't think a cardboard box would work well.

6. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chirping

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I just built a homemade incubator using Rush Lane's design. I had great help from him also when I had a question

Here is his web site: http://www.rushlanepoultry.com/cooler_incubators_page.htm

He
    has a full videos with step by step instructions on building one with a GQF wafer thermostat and one with a water heater thermostat.

I have it running right now with 7 eggs in it and it works great: I only get 1° variance.
    The one piece of advise I recomend is make sure you get a [ulower][/u] water heater thermostat. I started out with an upper and the temp variance was over 6°.

here is a picture of mine:

[​IMG]

7. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    The wafer thermostats are more reliable. I used to use a lower wter heater thermostat but since I got the wafer I'm glad I got it.Wit the wafer you won't have to drill any excess holes in it to make it more acurate.Just set it & forget it. You see the wafer wired between the lights. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by