How to butcher Skinning method Graphic pics

This is basically what I do (I don't have a plucker and I process more ducks than chickens)
I do like the way that you get the organs. I never thought of doing that but so much easier than traditional eviseration.

Good job. I always want to take pics but since its me out there alone (hubby doesn't help) I don't want to get anything on camera or phone.
lol.png

I know what you mean about having to do this stuff alone. I have processed deer and even my last bear all by myself...the bear took me all day. In my boyfriend's defense, he did help with the pig this fall and he helps me when I have a big batch of meat birds to do.
smile.png

I skin my birds too. For the dame reason, not enough butchered at one time to merit a plucking. I really like your method but have gotten addicted to making our own chicken broth as it's nothing like a broth, rather a mothers sauce.

I take off the wings and hocks first. Snap at joints, loosen then cut. with the wings and hocks removed the skin pulls easily off excepting along the backbone. After viserating, remove the legs and use knife to cut through the ribs and remove breast then cut them in half. Though seeing the OP take only breast at this point seems much easier. I only use the neck and back of birds for broth but now will no doubt use the breast bones too. Favorite recipe so far for the meat and broth is chicken & sausage gumbo.

what a great thread & posts. i'm going to have to do some birds soon. I've never done any before & I will be doing it by myself also. I will be doing one bird initially & having to get water up to the right temp & doing the eviscerating is daunting when just the kill will be hard enough. this is how I want to do my first.

never having skinned anything i'm wondering if I have the correct knife for the job. can I use a good knife with a rigid blade or do I need a long thin skinning/filet knife that is flexible?

I find the fillet knife the easiest to use but that's been my 'go to' knife for as long as I can remember...I even use it to peel and cut up vegetables. I don't see why you couldn't use a sharp rigid knife. You may not get as close to the bones but if you like this method you could always invest in a good fillet knife later.
Let us know how it works out for you.

I used a rigid knife the first time and it is harder to get the entire breast fillets but did the job for the most part. The second time I used a fillet knife and I liked it better but it is not necessary. I agree with Huntress78 I wouldn't go out and buy anything new until you know if you like the method or not.

Yup, I think it's all in what you get used to using.
No matter what type of knife the blade needs to be SHARP.
Chickens R Us, if you like a small blade for control, the next time you have to skin something try a scalpel. I've used them for years on everything from bear to moose and they can't be beat because the disposable blades are always sharp.

Back
Top Bottom