How to calculate how much hardware cloth is for my chicken run?

PatienceT

Chirping
Feb 25, 2024
Corbin, Kentucky
Is there a formula to use to calculate how much hardware cloth to buy for my outdoor run? I plan to make an 8'x16' run at a minimum of 6' tall. I can't wrap my head around how to calculate it. I do this sometimes when I know how to do something but experience a mental block.

One 8 by 16
Two 6 by 16
Two 6 by 8
So a roll of 48"x100' hardware cloth should cover my proposed run plus have some left over. I know I will need another roll to do the apron around the run and coop, but what is left over from the run itself should leave me with plenty to work with to predator-proof my coop for like the ventilation holes and such.

You won't need another roll, use 2 feet for each length for the apron.
Place the horizontal run framing at 2' high to attach the HC.
Try sketching it out, the 4 side walls, on graph paper to help you plan/visualize.

If you plan on completly cover the run.
2+6+8+6+2 = 24ft
2 ft apron 6 ft up the wall 8 ft across the top 6 ft down the wall 2ft apron on the other side. That's the length you need for one section.
Oh and a tip for working with HWC. Band aides lots of band aides. That stuff will eat you up. But it's better you get eat up then having your girls eat up. Literally.

Last edited:
Can someone help me too? I feel like I should be able to do this, but something is not clicking lol. Would someone help me math how much HWC I would need for a 9'x13' run? it will be covered entirely with chicken wire but I will reinforce the bottom parameters and add an apron. So, my question is how much HWC do I need to buy?

You will need to go at least 4ft up with your reinforcement and a 2ft appron.
A roll that is 4ft × 25ft

2.5 lenths for the 9ft ends 3.25 lenths for 2 13ft sides. You will need 12 lenths of 6ft long 4ft wide.
72ft
3 rolls of 25ft.

Back
Top Bottom