How to calculate your homemade chicken feed

Toru

Chirping
Sep 18, 2017
Hi everyone
It is a lot of articles about how to mix and calculate the protein in homemade feed for chickens. I am sorry, I don't get it. Is anyone can explain me 20# *.09% = 1.8% Why do you need to move decimal point in protein %? Is it 9% in every pound of corn, or millet, or milo? Some websites have feed calculator. The idea is great, nice and easy if you know how. I am totally lost. Is there explanations for Dummies or Idiots?
I try to make mix for chickens, ducks and peacocks. If I could understand the basic - I would "play" with different grains and stay away from store feed. One more problem - local feed stores don't have fish meal, aragonite, crab meal and Nurti-Balancer. I found Nutri-Balancer on line, but I will cost me around $95 per 60# bag. Well, kelp meal is around $100 per 50#. Since, I don't need to use much kelp meal - it will last me 4 times longer than Nutri-Balancer.
I would like to save money and the same time I don't want to sacrifice nutritional value of feed.
Thank you for your help.

Let me help you first in the percentage question. Taking corn for example, and it is 9% protein (I thought it was even less:idunno) regardless how many pounds you feed, the percentage remains constant. So for example if you would only feed corn to your flock, they would be getting insufficient protein in their diet.
To correct that, you add things that are high in protein to your feed. Fish meal and crab meal are things that are high in protein percentage. Mixing that to a lower percentage feed raises the protein percentage of the finished mixture.
Your goal is for about 18% protein.
Assuming that chickens get to eat as much feed as they want. If protein is lower, the result is chickens gaining fat, and not producing many eggs. Significantly higher percentages of protein result in soft,runny droppings, as well as smellier than usual.
You are interested in saving money, and understandable. Take into consideration, that when you do make large investments like you stated above, you do need to utilize these quantities in reasonable time. Purchasing feed (or individual ingredients) and having it around for a long time, NOT A WISE IDEA.
Feed can go bad a number of ways. It can also loose its nutritional value as well after extended time.
I don't know how large your flock is so hard for me to make judgment.

I use commercial feed Alflock Pellets 18% protein, 2% calcium. This feed also contains other minerals and vitamins.
You would need to add/makeup in your home mixed feed to be complete.
I offer cracked oyster shell freechoice. Also offer scratch, and table scraps, as well as free ranging. Have been keeping chickens over 20 years now, and all my chickens live long lives. I do not eat my chickens, just the eggs.

Unless you are large scale operation, and able to purchase individual ingredients well priced, I do not see much savings in small batches.
You can get/find small mills that will custom make organic feed for you and provide all the necessary ingredients in the feed for you. They have everything already calculated to make that 500 lb. batch.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thank you
My flock is around 250 chickens, 59 ducks, 6 peacocks, 1 Sun Conure and 1 Parakeet.
I wanted to feed them all non- GMO organic feed. And I am still doing. Now I don't make as much money, I used to. So, I have several choices to make. I thought, if I go with whole grain diet, I might save some. Doesn't seems like it.
I hate to say - I know what I have to do.:hit

Thank you
I am mixing my own feed. So far everyone (chickens and ducks) likes it. The cost went way down. Three reasons for that: I am culling a lot of "free ride" chickens, I drop using all non-GMO feed and I am mixing.
I use wheat, oats, milo and kelp as well too.

I have found Azure Standard to be a great source to purchase organic non-gma whole grains among a host of numerous other products. After using Scratch and Peck I now mix my own feed. 1 part wheat, 1 part oats, 1/2 part milo, add 2% Kelp. I also ferment the feed and I do see a significant decrease in the amount of feed and water needed. I do free range as well.

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/food/grains/sorghum/grain-sorghum-milo-organic/9202?package=GR093&a_aid=badc7fc3c9

The shipping is extremely expensive :( Do you know of any other online resources. I am looking to buy wheat and barley. Thanks.

I picked up my order at their store site which was very reasonable Like $9 to pick it up. Scratch and Peck May have them as well.

That’s why I switched to Azure Standard. I purchased several items weighing over 150 lbs for $9 shipping but I did have to pick up my order at their drop site. There are many drop sites around the country.

That’s why I switched to Azure Standard. I purchased several items weighing over 150 lbs for $9 shipping but I did have to pick up my order at their drop site. There are many drop sites around the country.
There isn't a drop site near me. I live in Maryland. I think the closest is about 4 hours away.

Back
Top Bottom