how to candle dark shells?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stitch81, Jun 6, 2011.

1. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I have 7 welsummer eggs in my incubator that I just can't see into to tell if they are developing. I also have 2 of the 7 Buff orpington eggs that I just can't see into as well. Is there a trick to candling dark shells? I have a total of 26 eggs in the incubator and with the exception of these 9 (because I can't see into them) they are all developing on schedule.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Get you a coleman Max flashlight and candle in a very dark room. I had some welsummer eggs and that worked. I had to wait til they were about 10 day into incubation before I could really tell though. Also forgot to add make sure you are candling from the large end but you probably know that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I've got a high powered flashlight that puts out 144 lumens, that was the highest I could find in the store. I'm on day 5, so I'll try again on day 10. Thanks.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have darker colored eggs from my Ameraucanas and this is what works well for me. I have a spotlight with the rubber end of a plunger on it to concentrate the light. I put the pointy end of the eggs on the plunger where the handle would go (we drilled a hole through the rubber to let the light through). Then I take a mag light and shine that through the large end of the egg. This way you have light going into the egg from both ends. I helps a lot.

5. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched dark brown Marans eggs. I didn't candle until lockdown and it was pretty easy to see with a high powered LED flashlight (maybe 130 lumens?). I didn't bother before then because I would not have been able to see enough to be willing to make a decision before then! [​IMG]

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I too wait until the 18th day to candle dark eggs. The dark mass and the air cell are much easier to detect then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by