how to candle dark shells?

stitch81

Chirping
8 Years
May 23, 2011
I have 7 welsummer eggs in my incubator that I just can't see into to tell if they are developing. I also have 2 of the 7 Buff orpington eggs that I just can't see into as well. Is there a trick to candling dark shells? I have a total of 26 eggs in the incubator and with the exception of these 9 (because I can't see into them) they are all developing on schedule.

Get you a coleman Max flashlight and candle in a very dark room. I had some welsummer eggs and that worked. I had to wait til they were about 10 day into incubation before I could really tell though. Also forgot to add make sure you are candling from the large end but you probably know that.

Last edited:
I've got a high powered flashlight that puts out 144 lumens, that was the highest I could find in the store. I'm on day 5, so I'll try again on day 10. Thanks.

I have darker colored eggs from my Ameraucanas and this is what works well for me. I have a spotlight with the rubber end of a plunger on it to concentrate the light. I put the pointy end of the eggs on the plunger where the handle would go (we drilled a hole through the rubber to let the light through). Then I take a mag light and shine that through the large end of the egg. This way you have light going into the egg from both ends. I helps a lot.

I just hatched dark brown Marans eggs. I didn't candle until lockdown and it was pretty easy to see with a high powered LED flashlight (maybe 130 lumens?). I didn't bother before then because I would not have been able to see enough to be willing to make a decision before then!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom