how to candle eggs ?

Well. Back when they didn't have electricity they did use a candle so they just haven't really changed the term

frow.gif

-Johnaloha

Does it matter to the embryo how the egg or the light is positioned during candling so long as you are able to see what you need to see? Air sac up, down, sideways? Thanks.
I would like to know the answer to this too??? Anyone out there have an opinion or thought on the matter??? Thanks PatS for the question

I would like to know the answer to this too??? Anyone out there have an opinion or thought on the matter??? Thanks PatS for the question

Candle from the air cell down into the egg to be able to see what you need to, especially the air cell. If you candle from the bottom up you aren't going to get a look at the air cell and many people mistake the clear albumen at the bottom for the air cell. The chicks themselves don't care how you candle, but to get the perspective you need, shining the light down into the egg from the air cell is going to be the way to go. I know the question was asked a week ago, but the thread was brought back up so I figured I'd comment. ;)

And, we thank you for commenting :D Let me ask another question: When you candle, what are your thoughts if / when you can't see an air sac? (not to say it isn't there, it's just not visible)...

And, we thank you for commenting :D Let me ask another question: When you candle, what are your thoughts if / when you can't see an air sac? (not to say it isn't there, it's just not visible)...

If they are newly set fresh eggs I wouldn't worry about it for the first few days. I've had two hatches now where at collection/set I could not see some of the air cells, but by day 4/5 they were visible. If they are past day 5 and candling is being done down into the egg from the air cell and there is no sign of the air cell, I'd be worried.

(Unless it's due to extremely dark eggs, but I have never had an issue there.)

Last edited:
Ok, good! I still have 2 or 3 days then... I'm trying to keep myself from candling until day 10..... Ya know, about this candling thing... I'm trying not to get wrapped around the axle about it... I see how incubating could easily get out of hand! - As it is, this is my first time and I might as well be incubating those eggs myself, LOL!
tongue.png
It's so tempting to just hover and watch
pop.gif
, and then you find yourself wondering what's going on in there and what if I just candled a few?
big_smile.png

Ok, good! I still have 2 or 3 days then... I'm trying to keep myself from candling until day 10..... Ya know, about this candling thing... I'm trying not to get wrapped around the axle about it... I see how incubating could easily get out of hand! - As it is, this is my first time and I might as well be incubating those eggs myself, LOL!
tongue.png
It's so tempting to just hover and watch
pop.gif
, and then you find yourself wondering what's going on in there and what if I just candled a few?
big_smile.png
I am a candle addict, so I know what you mean.
wink.png

One of my hatches, my first hatch with my own pullet eggs. I set aside 6 eggs I think it was that I candled every night and the rest were to be day 7/14/18 day candles, (I have to admit, I sneaked one more in there.) It was basically to prove a point, that candling done right doesn't compromise a hatch. My first, (well, only so far, but I will do it again) 100% hatch 20 out of 20.

Back
Top Bottom