How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be part of the meaties sticky, i think. It is a very good visual on caponizing. I will try it this spring, I think!
DUH sorry didn't realize that's where I read it...
th.gif

Last edited:
Exactly the post I was looking for. There is a pretty big market for capons near me, I can imagine $2.50/lb for an 8lbs bird.

This has been the most educational thread I have read on BYC. My daughter wants to be a vet and my wife said it sounded like a good idea. So we are going to do some research and see how it goes. Thanks so much for sharing

ouch....... ill deal with my hubby that's all pissy about crowing roos before i do that to my pets (i was selfishly thinking i could get away with having roos o' plenty if i caponized them but ive had a change of heart) it looks ok for meaties but may be inappropriate for pet birds, but then again how many cockerels would take their chances if ultimately it could save their lives? im so confused
th.gif

My books recommend 3 weeks to about 12 weeks. A year would be very old. But if you caponize them, you don't need to be in a rush to kill them, because they won't get tough and stringy. I can do it now. I'm working up the nerve. Maybe in a week, when I go on my off time. I have to bring my book with me to read up on the surgery and figure how I will make the table. Its time. They are old enough.

Quote:
I'm going to start caponizing some of mine. Not so much to save their life just prolong it.

I don't get it. What is the point? If you are going to inflict pain, suffering and stress, why not just kill the male for meat and move on? I don't feel that my males want to be caponized. It changes them, makes them different and to what end? My current roosters are being hen pecked. I can't imagine making them less male and having them pecked even more. Death is part of life. Why not accept that and stop trying to make chickens pets?

I'd echo what Tamra of Fort Doom said (post #74) and try out caponizing your first time on one or more roosters that you have already killed for processing. Then you can take time to thoroughly explore and make your initial mistakes without causing excessive extra suffering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom