How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I don't know everything. I am new to chickens. I did not realize that a capon would gain weight more readily than a cock. Still I do see a difference between an external neutering and an internal caponizing. I would not be so much against it if it was done by a professional (vet) but, I have read many posts that speak of loss due to inexperience and people who suggest practicing on dead roosters. I myself would not be willing to do this for an extra pound or two of meat. Those who know what they are doing well, carry on but, if you are new to the game why practice and learn on your roosters without some real guidance?

that is why I would never do it. WOuld be willing to let someone use my roosters to do it tho if they knew what they were doing. My grampa did it alot and said to always have a pot of water boiling for the mistakes....

Statistically, while they do get a little bigger, the big advantage is that the meat stays tender longer, so you raise them together to full adult size and still get chicken you don't have to stew. You are also not in a crunch to get them all processed because of the small window between big enough to eat and too tough to chew. Now I know that properly prepared and old rooster is fine table fare, but having capons just gives you a few more options.

Well we got our kit, have been working with a poultry vet who recommended we kill one (sorry don't know more P.C. term) then explained how to cut a small window to see what we were after. then turn the bird over and try the procedure on the other side. He wanted us to try this to become familiar with the anatomy. He is going to try to come by and show us in person next week. I think he wanted to see if we were serious or not. I am a farmer and an EMT (and a pro skydiver) so I'm willing to try new things. My daughter is a combat medic studying to be a vet and my wife is an awesome farm girl who understands how things are. So I think we are all a bit excited about learning something that has pretty much been forgotten. I think it may be like raising heritage birds or why most of us raise chickens. To preserve something that is slipping away in our culture. Maybe I was just born 50 years late. I know a lot of things are not for everyone. But it seems we would always want people around that new some of the old ways too. Ok of my little nostalgic soapbox.

O by the way, we ate the practice bird.

Last edited:
so, did you get the second side done? Is this something you will try to become skilled at? I want one so bad, but I know that I couldnt do it.

Quote:
This is the meat bird section, please do not post if you are offended by things you see in here.. If you do not like it then hit the back button... Caponizing has been done for hundreds of years on millions of birds with great success and little harm to the animals... If oyu read thru the emergencies section you will see that many have performed surgery on their birds and the birds remained calm and did not appear in pain..

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandpa did this all the time when I was a kid... 40 to 50 some years ago... It was an accepted practice then and I would love to do some, I just dont have the stomach to do it.. or the eyesight...lol Why is this any different than castrating calves, horses, pigs or any other animals.. I am going to guess that you did not grow up on a farm. You really can't anesthetize animals safely and if you have ever seen it done, they don't suffer long. I am sure it hurts, but I just dont believe that they have the same nerve endings we do. If you have seen a calf get thrown down, cut and let go, they are on the go immediatley. A human couldnt do that. Don't compare animals to humans. totally different situation.

Quote:
good question. I know I was around them as a kid, but ... I don't know. My grandpa used them as sitting hens. They are great mamas. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom