how to care for silkies properly?

c.wilson

Songster
11 Years
Jul 4, 2008
hi everybody. i am wondering how to take care of silkie bantams. i am thinking about getting some and know nothing about them. i would like to know some stuff about them such as how to care for them properly, what they look like, i know that sounds kind of weird because everyone is always talking about them but i dont know what one looks like. it would be great if you guys that read this and have silkie bantams would post some pictures of your silkies and then post a caption under them.

that would be great thanks.

They don't see very well if you have the bearded kind because of all the fluff. I keep mine in a sererate pen because I would be afraid that the standard welsummer girls would hurt or peck them. Now I have 3 girls of laying age now and I get 2/3 eggs a day from them and I've already had one try to go broody on me but I kept taking the eggs from her to break her. Here are a couple pics of mine.

Porcelain silkie girl
porcelainsilkie.jpg

Sgt. Pepper partridge roo
sgtpepper.jpg

Sweetie splash pullet
splash.jpg

partridge pullet
partridgegirl.jpg

Hokey Pokey blue roo
hokeypokey1.jpg

Lola black hen
100_0881.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you posted the question.
thumbsup.gif
Didn't know about the closed skull thing. My silkies are great layers, for now anyway. Hubby swears that the 3 yo is laying 2 a day.
idunno.gif
For some reason, only one attempted to go broody, then gave it up after 6 days.

I just love 'em, but then, I ride arabians (and they're not "REAL" horses, according to my QH friends!)
wink.png

The baby pen
2627191239_56a562342a.jpg

2643326326_0924a4f9a7_m.jpg

Silkies are one of the most friendly breeds. They have weak skulls and don't fly. They can be easy for cats and other chicken killers to catch because of their head feathers that give is a hard time to see. Here are my silkies

take care of them just like other chickens.

Just be aware of a couple of things...

1st, they can't fly...at...all. A low fence will keep them in.

2nd, their skulls do not completely close together on top. That's what gives them the domey head look but also can cause issues if they get pecked on the head hard, or hit their head hard.

3rd, they aren't good egg layers, generally, but GREAT broodies. I have 4 girls and get about 5 eggs a WEEK from them.

4th, they will take over. Really. They are out to rule the world. Just ask PurpleChicken. We love our silkies - we have fallen completely into their mind control to the point where I've got 5 new chicks hatched from our own eggs and 5 more in the hatcher due on Wed...

Thank you for posting your question. I too needed to know these things. My broody Momma black sexlink is just begining to cut her apron strings from her 6-6wk old silkie chicks. We just let them range with Momma. Which was both good and bad. Bad because they are not tame. Good grief! The guiena keets are more tame.
We lost a silkie to a hawk last week and need to pen the rest soon. My DH nearly died when I brought the silkies home, but they are just so darn cute! I have caught him showing pics to people!
Another interesting thing about silkies is they have black skin. In parts of Asia they make a soup from them and consider it quite healing. Actually found them dressed and frozen in the Asian market freezer. Went for $8.99 a pound. Been looking at the little guys in a new light. Almost mystical.

Silkies are sweet & personable. Mine hold their own with Standards. The cutest thing: When another bird gets a treat that they wanted, they cry/whine like kids! "Oh, Frank got that grape!"

Back
Top Bottom