How to catch a chicken

It is easier to catch them if they are not free range all the time, I had to enclose my chooks in a run for the winter and they have been more affectionate since in there. I read in chickens for dummies that the chickens expect predators from above, so reaching for the back will cause them to scatter. Take some treats in one hand one try to use the other hand to scoop in between the legs, grab both legs and hold until they stop trying to fly away and then you can hold them. This has worked with my birds, but in the summer when they free range all day they are tougher to get. I also try to make them sit on my lap for a treat, if I have time to chill with the chooks I take out some bread and whoever jumps on my lap gets some bread. Pretty soon a lot of the hens get to like being close to you, but I still have 1 roo that will NOT get near me. I can only get him on the roost at night and even then he is pretty elusive.

Quote:
I usually grab them off the roost before dawn like others have mentioned. But I also made a "Chicken-Hook"----My grandparents used one to catch their chickens, so I made one also. I took a six foot stiff metal rod and bent a hairpin crook in the end that will catch the chicken by the leg. I put a wooden handle on the other end, you use it by tossing some scratch out and slipping the hook around their leg from behind while they're engaged. I've never seen one for sale, but have seen more then one "old-timer" with them.

I just went through this ordeal tonight...
roll.png
As I'm trading out some chickens in the morning. I also do not have a walk in, and have a fearsome roo. The roo went first
big_smile.png
I felt a little bad, he wasn't very asleep, and I ended up flattening him into the shavings on the floor while holding his legs... then I just sort of scooped the whole bundle up and plunked him the the carrier. Shut the door quickly too! Rubberized grippy gloves really help this process
roll.png
Boy, oh boy was he mad!! he was a bit outta breath too, I felt kinda bad, I must of really squished him... but now he and his two grouchy hens are packed to go. No harm, no fowl! Even though the birds appear to be sleeping, a flashlight is plenty to wake them up.... I have found it is much easier to use a net during the day, so that at least I can see what I'm doing. (Not that it helps much...) Good Luck!!

PS: I second the Marans bit!!

I have heard (on the pages of BYC) that darkness causes a stupor to come over chickens, rendering them lethargic and mostly helpless to any predator including people. Would you be able to grab the birds off the roost at night w/o the roo getting stirred up? I have heard that this is the time to do it (at night) so every bird doesn't get riled up and make a break for freedom!!
old.gif

Often they come over for treats and I can pick one up for a minute or two for some petting and then they want down.

But when I NEED to pick one of the hens up to investigate something, I always shoo the rooster into the coop and lock him there. Then, I offer treats (veggies, fruit etc.) and they almost always come over and eat out of my hand, so it's pretty easy to scoop one up.

There have been times when they were skittish and I couldn't grab them and I'd have to get out the net which they (me) all HATE! It works - but only in dire situations do I use it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom