How to catch a skittish rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheepchicks, Sep 16, 2007.

1. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    ok I have that rooster freebie who is roosting in the rafters of a very large barn. I need to catch him as I feel there is something seriously wrong with his legs. I can't reach those rafters and he flies quite well. Should I just wait til the legs get so bad he can't roost? Here is a pic as close as I could get with the zoom and all.

[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww, the poor guy. Im guessing mites of some kind? Can you reach him at night, with a long pole fishing net? Hope you can catch him soon and get him treated. I bet he is miserable.

3. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I would try to catch him with a net if I had to. His legs look pretty bad. I would wash them and use a toothbrush to scrub them. Then maybe use mineral oil and a DROP of tea tree oil mixed together and paint his legs with the mix. I would keep him seperated till those legs look better!

Take Care
    Cristina

4. cheepchicks

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I will have to go buy a net. Dang bird is a nuisance. He is a gift from drunken neighbor guy ! Sure is pretty though...LOL

5. hatty

hatty Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2007
    it sounds crazy but we have been able to get our chickens out of the trees using a 1x3" board. we just slide it up under their feet, they step right onto it, and lower them down. but it has to be when they're really asleep if you try it too early they just get annoyed.

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    What till nigt inme chickens cant see at night take a pole and knock him out the tree/ barn. Then catch him when he lands.And he has leg mights you need to treet him for them with vaseline.Is he an old english game bantam? I have one that had leg mights just like that.

heres a pic of mine after we treated his legs.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/lacy_94/Picture184.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2007
  7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Poor baby's got scaly leg mites really bad...
    You have to get him when he's asleep and slather with Tea tree Oil or Vaseline.

8. cheepchicks

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    First...I am not sure what he is...just a cross breed roo drunken neighbor guy gave me.

second. I will try the pole or board thing...wednesday night when bf is home from work. That way he can catch him as soon as he comes down.

Third....I Thank-you all.

Kim

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure look like scaly leg mites to me. Watch your other birds to make sure they don't all get it too. Night catching is probally your best bet.

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You need something that looks like this. I use a piece of welding rod with a V bent into the end. You could also secure a coat hanger hook to the end of an old broomstick. You come up behind him, catch one leg, pull him back toward you and grab his legs with your free hand.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by