How to catch a very young stray pup --- (pic added)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Hi!
    Poor pup looks like it is 8/10 weeks and very malnourished.
    I've been putting out 'puppychow' and it ignores it (last week, it ate a tiny bit of the puppy chow) and comes around every afternoon and eats poop from under the quail pens.
    I've been baiting 2 different traps to try to catch the darling and it's not working --- he just won't go in the trap.
    Any ideas for bait that this pup might find irrestible?

Thanks,
    Lisa

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    what are you baiting with? I'd try canned dog food or tuna- something with a really strong odor.

Good luck!

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    does he come around if your cooking out? where does he go when he leaves your place? Maybe he goes home, just likes poo for desert. I would try hamburger, but if he doesn't know what it is he may not come for that either. Maybe trap him in barn.

4. Pepperanne

Pepperanne Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    Southern Ontario
    skip the kibble.. put out real food... either lightly cooked people food or raw chicken.

Good luck.
    Anna

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Well you already established he loves quail poop. Why not place the trap beside or under the quail pen and shovel the poop in it? If it fits under the pen his snack will continue to fall in it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  6. Thanks! I've been feeding him scrambled eggs and at least I know he's eating --- much better fare than what he was eating. He's a forager, his scat is full of beetle shells and I caught him scratching down into an ant hill --- eating ant larvae while getting stung by angry ants.
    I've given up trying to trap him (I still bait the traps), the poor little one is in such pitiful shape, I'm just feeding him in hopes he gentles down and I can get my hands on him soon.
    I had him cornered in the fenced part of the garden the other morning. Then, the little guy growled at me and I backed down --- I should have grabbed him and been done with it, but I'm turning into a weiner in my old age, lol.

I wish I could have gotten a pic this morning, of the stray pup and the yard roosters sharing scrambled eggs. He's been hanging around enough, the normally cautious roos aren't the least bit afraid of him.
    I wish they wouldn't be so piggish about the scrambled eggs, the pup needs them more than they do.

Lisa

7. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Poor thing! I'd try canned food also and maybe cooked chicken. I don't know of any dog that would turn down chicken. I'm sure if you keep feeding him he will eventually come to trust you. Keep us posted.

8. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Maybe call your vet and see if there is a light sedative that you could mix with the eggs, you will have to put it out somewhere where the chickens wont eat it. Then after the pup gets a little drowsey you can grab him and get him confined. Be careful so you dont get bit, small or not it will hurt!! LOL This way you might be able to get him right to the vet for a check up before he come to all the way. If you plan on keeping him and you will be able to get the shots and check up.. I hope it all works out. Jenn

9. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Good luck and thanks for trying to help him!

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Sedatives not a bad idea. But they might not give it out since they havent seen him before/laws, etc. But Valium/Diazepam might help you trap him. Be very careful not to get bit by him. If you do and he then take him to the vet, they will quarantine him or even -god forbid- euthanize him depending on state laws. In a CVT in CT and the laws are pretty strict about that.

Either way you are on the right track. can you corner him into a barn/kennel or something and then let him stay in there for a bit while you feed him and try to earn some trust. at the very least, you could sneak some wormers into his scrambled eggs. That will let him body use more of the nutrients you are giving him!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by