How to clean a Chicken Skull

Chicken_girl17

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Oregon
Hi I haven’t been on BYC for a while but recently we have been haveing a pest problem we have been working hard on trying to solve and unfortunately last night this *thing* got my favorite bird I was thinking that later this year when it comes to butcher season, I would save a few heads and clean them to be able to display them. However, since I lost my rooster yesterday, I would really like to be able to clean his skull. He’s a Polish (the one in my pfp) i’m just very glad whatever it is left his head, but does anybody actually know how to clean the skull? I’m finding lots of information on the Internet about how to clean animal bones in general, but I imagine a chickens skull is going to be a lot more fragile than a cow?
Any help is appreciated

One way I've seen to clean an alligator skull is to put it on an ant nest. I have not tried that myself. It would need to be the right ants, I don't think you have fire ants in Oregon.

I can tell you that I've done a number of euro mounts on whitetail deer and basically you can look that up but clean off as much meat you can get off of the head and add dawn detergent some borax and some laundry soap to water And simmer that head for a couple of hours. eventually everything will come off but don't boil it!
You will have to pick at it to get the little pieces off. You might need to a simmer a little more. it'll be trial-and-error but you can do it.
Cancel that thought ever entered my mind. that's a pretty small head so good luck

What I do is flesh it good, boil to get the other tissues soft, gently scrape with a small knife, air dry for a few days if needed(Makes soft bits crispy, comes off alittle bit more easier this way), I get the brain out when I do the whitening stage, with hydrogen peroxide.
20210927_211337.jpg
20211002_090500.jpg
20211002_090617.jpg
20211002_090532.jpg

Thank you this is very helpful as is everyone else’s reply’s thank you
You're welcome.
Just a tip. The less flesh left on the skull, the better it'll turn out, though there's always those little stubborn bits. Those I just ignore since they'll blend when bleached.

Back
Top Bottom