How to clean a muddy/odor run?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
It's been raining for the past couple days and my chickens run is wet and muddy and smells from all their poop water mixing in and it created this mud. I want to clean both coop and run but I'm waiting until it gets nicer outside. But there run smells a lot and I don't know how to clean out this mud paste stuff. Does anyone have any ideas or have worked with this before on how to help me clean it?

Sand will just make it a sticky mess. You can get stall dry-out powder that people use for horses or high-tragic barnyard areas for other animals, it kind of makes a layer over the top of the mud that’s more water resistant. The wood chips or mulch will absorb the mud and make it more solid and easier to walk on.

Sand will just make it a sticky mess. You can get stall dry-out powder that people use for horses or high-tragic barnyard areas for other animals, it kind of makes a layer over the top of the mud that’s more water resistant. The wood chips or mulch will absorb the mud and make it more solid and easier to walk on.
thank you I will look into it

Call tree service and get chips. Sweet PZD will cut the smell and is non toxic. They can eat it for that matter. Saw dust with PDZ is your quick fix to smell. Chips will end the mud.
Look, wet chips , no mud.
run.jpg

Adding more dry bedding is more important than exactly what sort of dry bedding you get hold of.

The best deep litter systems are composed of a mix of materials -- wood chips, shavings, dry leaves, straw, pine straw, dried lawn clippings, etc.

A couple intact straw bales would give the birds somewhere to sit that's out of the mud without having to be in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom