How to clean eggs for hatching?

I startes washing mine recently and the results have spoke for themselves. My hatch rate has went way up and have no losses do to bacteria growth causing the blood ring. I have been using an egg cleaner from manna pro and will from now on. This one bottle will last me a long time since it just uses 2 capfulls for every gallon of warm water.

Well I just wipped them off with a paper towel where they were dirty. They were for the most part clean. Hard to decide what to do when half say to wash, the other half says not to.

If it is not broken dont fix it. If you are satisfied with your hatch with dirty eggs go ahead. I like to wash all of mine using an antibacterial agent as do the hatcheries. Dirty eggs also lead to a buildup of bacteria in the incubator and that leads to bad hatches.

Usually the stuff on the egg is dry and you can gently wipe the egg with a terry cloth towel. That will get any chunks off.

It seems to me that washing would do less damage than sanding.

I have found if eggs are very dirty, just scrub with a dry plastic dish washing scrubber and the stuff comes off. I would never wash in hot water, unless I was going to boil my eggs for the chicks to eat. They love mashed boiled egg! They go nuts for it.:-D

this may prove helpful I am kina fond of rollout egg systems my self I was selling some eggs beside someone who does not use roll outs I do my eggs were spotless
smile.png

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/PFS22c.pdf

Last edited:
The choice is going to be yours. We all have a preferances. I have a tried and true way for me! Others, something else. You in time will have something else again. But we all learn here. ALOT! I have done both, I would like to see you try both on your own and know how you feel. AND if you don't have easy acess to eggs...............I will give you all you want! PM me if that is an option for you.

Back
Top Bottom