1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to clean eggs for hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by artathart, Apr 16, 2011.

1. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I just got my barnyward mix eggs today and They are a little dirty. Should I clean them before putting them in the incubator? If so...How and with what?

Thanks!

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a barnyard mix for my broody and two were really poopy but I did not clean them. It seems that it would affect the viability of the egg if you should wet them or sand them. They have a coating that is called "bloom" on them and I have heard that you should leave it intact unless you are going to eat them. Don't lnow for sure though.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I put them in my sink full of very hot soapy water then rub them with my hand an rinse them in more hot water.

4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I have read that it makes no difference whether the eggs for incubation have had their shells cleaned or not cleaned.

5. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Don't do it! I never wash. I have hatches in th 80% range and not less. Unless the whole egg is covered with "stuff" your fine! Enjoy your new habit. Do you study chicken math yet? The best tutors can be found right here. good luck.[​IMG]

6. artathart

artathart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Could I maybe gently wipe the eggs with a paper towel?

7. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I am no expert, since I just had my first hatch. I took some emery cloth and rubbed the poo until I was down to the shell. I didn't wash them.

I had no stinky eggs. I had 10 chicks hatch successfully, 1 who died while zipping (got stuck on the egg carton), and 2 quitters, and two that never developed at all.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    The eggs have a protective coating on the outside that should not be washed off if you are hatching the eggs. The bloom is Mother Nature's way of protecting the egg. Here's a little about bloom: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/10/31/egg-bloom/ Eggs that are washed are less lilkely to hatch at all.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I get a kick out of these threads.

Every respectable study done on the subject says to wash every egg. My understanding is every big hatchery in the US washes every egg. I have done both. Washing is better. Hatch rates go up, an up even more if you use an antibacterial agent. It has been proven time an time again but this mystical bloom that can stop anything but basic water is still treated as a god.

10. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    I never ever clean mine. Ive got a ridiculously dirty egg hatching as I speak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by