How to clean shavings in brooder also how often?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Willow's Meadow, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    How do you guys clean your baby chick's shavings in the brooder? What do you use to scoop it out? How often do you clean out the shavings in brooder...everyday, once a week? Not adult chickens...but the baby chicks. [​IMG]

2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I have a tray I just pull out. And I clean the brooder about twice a week

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    New to using a brooder here, but I plan on removing the lid, the water bottle and the feeder.... and the chicks, then dumping the chips out onto the compost pile. Of course a brooder made from a tote makes this somewhat easy to do.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Moldy wood chips or other bedding can cause aspergillosis, a fatal pneumonia, so you really have to keep things clean.

I clean out turkeys and chickens daily, ducks twice a day (ducks are extra messy and also slop water everywhere).

Better safe than sorry.

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Take the kitchen serving spoon that's way in the back of the drawer...you know, the one that you hate & never use? Everybody's got one. It is now a poo scooper.

Scoop out all visible poo & all wet shavings from around the waterer. Stir shavings all over the brooder. Add more if things are getting shallow. If you do this once a day, you will be able to go multiple days before a full bedding change. Depends on exactly how many chicks and the size of the brooder.

P.S. Elevate the waterer on some stacked plywood "steps" (so the chicks can climb up them) and you will have fewer shavings in the waterer and fewer wet shavings on the floor.

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Dust pan works great too...

7. chickiyo

chickiyo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    I just got chicks last week, and I clean their cage every morning. We use paper shreddings instead of woodchips, as they seem to like it better. Oh, and we just put newspaper under the shavings and pull it out and throw it away, then put new newspaper and shreddings back in.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i used a clean cat pooped scoop and i clean out the bed daily most of the time before dark i had 10 chicks now 10 teenager

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I scoop out the noticeable poops and then add more shavings. The chicks will stir it up by themselves when they scratch in it (which they do). Basically, it's the Deep Litter Method even in the brooder.

I use a nipple waterer for the chicks, so there is NO water mess at all.

10. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I use an old bathtub as my brooder. I line it with the multi-layered paper grainbags (Which I have TONS of) that I cut and opened up. I put shavings on that. When I want to clean it, I simply take the chicks out into another box, lift out the bags and replace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by