How to close the night coop

Waves

I feed chickens with italian pizza. No,I'm joking!
Apr 16, 2019
Centre of Italy
Hi all!!! :)
I need an advise on a new method to close the night coop that i can check fastly.
now i have an efficient closure system but it's very annoying to check that all is closed like i want. I have to check many times and it makes me freaking out! :rant :D

so now i've drawn this little project and wanted to know what did you think about it!

photo5962808740803621414.jpg

the dark piece is a sort of "buttonhole" in which i can put the rod in ONLY while closing the doors...
is it clear? maybe i'm not writing clearly! :D

the simple bolt would be like this, only for sure
1591211940038.png

what do you think? :p

I think if it latches closed and can not slide back by it's self then it should be fine.
I use a inexpensive fixed staple hasp and drop a bolt or mixing spoon in it so it can not slide open on accident. You have to physically lift the bolt or spoon out. If you use a plastic spoon you can drill a hole in it and hang it on a string so it won't get lost when not latched.

I think if it latches closed and can not slide back by it's self then it should be fine.
I use a inexpensive fixed staple hasp and drop a bolt or mixing spoon in it so it can not slide open on accident. You have to physically lift the bolt or spoon out. If you use a plastic spoon you can drill a hole in it and hang it on a string so it won't get lost when not latched.

Wow interesting system! But i didn't understand very well the function of the spoon...could you post a picture? sorry, i understand only a bit of english and when things become more difficult i struggle a bit! :D

A simple sliding bolt is not raccoon-proof.

i know! in my project it was only a "plus"

The only kind of lock I recommend is one that uses a key. Protects against all predators, including humans who want to steal your chickens.

i thought about this, but it isn't so simple to check...furthermore i'm such a messy person, i fear to lose the key every two for three...

i discovered that my first project is very stupid: in fact:

i could only close it while i'm closign the doors (OK)
BUT i couldn't re-open it in the morning,if it works.

any suggestion....to re-adapt or other ideas...?

LOL get that fancy door latch all worked out and let the door close behind you and how are you getting out?
I use a barrel latch with s few twist to "coon" proof it.
1) the door is sprong as in 'out of wack' . You have to use your knee to push it closed all the way. So when you move you knee it puts so much pressure you can't move the barrel with a hammer.
2) I put it on the door jam before it put the trim boards on. It recessed and little coon hands can rub a long the wood face and not find a thing to grab even if the door wasn't spring. I'll go take a pic. Look close as a full brass metal striker plate doesn't allow for any play and only 1/8" clearance.
door.jpg
doorr.jpg

Wow interesting system! But i didn't understand very well the function of the spoon...could you post a picture? sorry, i understand only a bit of english and when things become more difficult i struggle a bit! :D

i know! in my project it was only a "plus"

i thought about this, but it isn't so simple to check...furthermore i'm such a messy person, i fear to lose the key every two for three...

We can be out on our own limb in the Southern united states and I'm pretty sure allot of people here in the US don't understand us either! Ha,ha!

Attachments

• spoon latch.jpg
    spoon latch.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Gate latch.jpg
    Gate latch.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom