How to convince your parents...

Quote:
Just do every thing here. Its pretty much what i did. You are lucky though you found BYC before you get chickens i didnt find it until after. Oh and by the way i am a teen age farmer too its awesome!

Quote:
Call your city council and find out. You'll want to have the law on your side!

In order to convince your parents (I too am a young chicken owner, but it's really the whole family that loves them), I'd outline exactly what you are going to do, how and when you are going to do it, then tell them the benefits of having a few pet chickens (eggs, entertainment) and ask why they are opposed to it. Maybe you can figure something out from there!

I have to disagree with this advice. Look up everything you can first, then get copies of the actual ordinaces that I listed the links to about the 'right to farm' sections here for your township > http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/sadc/rtfprogram/resources/localordinances.html and the more detailed zoning info I posted.

A friend in a neighboring town called the city council first to find out, and they actually called an 'emergency meeting' and made an ordinance against owning any poulty at all!!! Now, it looks like you are not within any city or village limits, but get all the facts you can first!

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else, I'm just saying to get all your information together first! This is not being sneaky, it's being smart.

Quote:
Wings, I like that you made it all look professional and all. Good job. But I can say this. Throw out #1 right off the bat! That one never flies. That point has been made for hundreds of years by kids wanting all sorts of pets.
What I would say, instead is, there is minimal work to keeping a couple chickens. They put themselves up at night. Their poop is nasty, yes, but oh so beneficial to your Moms flower gardens. (tell her to look it up...best fertilizer in the world). And if your school has a 4-H or FFA, tell the units you want to join. There's not any more wholesome kids out there than the ones who join 4-H or FFA. Tell them if they nix the chicken you could go ahead and form a garage band and that you'll need a set of drums.
lau.gif

Thanks! I wouldn't want a set of drums though... I play the saxaphone!! Hahaha! Yeah, the whole, I'll do the work thing might not work the way you put it, because when I am at school someone will have to see if the chickens are okay and if they have enough water and food and such. but I am willing to do anything I can for them when I am home, and I have some friends that are willing to take care of them when I am on vacation. I only want three or four, so I wouldn't need as much space as if I wanted ten or fifteen. I saved up enough money to buy everything, so I will pay for them and their supplies, and I will save the money I get to pay for the food and stuff when they run out. The 'fertilizer' will come in handy, 'cause my mom loves her flowers in the hanging baskets and all of the pots we have everywhere, and we are planing to plant a tree when the weather gets nicer, too. And I have my tomato plants that would love it too. Anyway, there are plenty of reasons why the chickens will benefit us, but my parents still don't want them. Sorry this post was really long....
idunno.gif

well i would love to help but my stepdad is the one who got our first chickens. im just the one that got addicted!!!!!

Hi as a mum of 5 kids I would recommend, telling your parents how educational chicken keeping would be for you. My list would be,
educational
low maintainance
eggs
fertalizer
learning responsibility
We dont have 4H in Australia but I think thatits a very good idea to mention joining that. Good luck !
thumbsup.gif

LOL I put sticky notes on everything you had to touch saying Chickens Please? (door knobs, light switches, car keys, refrigerator door, toilet handle.) I also told them it makes kids resposible and keeps kids busy plus the whole fresh eggs thing, and it helps if you tell them you will pay for the food or do extra chores or something or tell them it could be a early birthday gift and get nothing for your birthday. I begged for a couple months. Good Luck
wink.png

I would also expand on Emzyyy's idea by post collecting the cutest, most sweet, adorable pictures of chickens you can find and post them around the house, too. Your mom and dad should really know your serious. (I am a mom and I can tell you that kids can really keep out of trouble if they have something like chickens to keep them busy!)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom