how to cool my hen house down

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by traybo, Jun 23, 2011.

1. traybo

traybo Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    :/hi, I have a hen house made out of a metal storage shed.. there nesting area is conneted to the metal building but it is there old hen housewhich is alot smaller.. any ways.. i left off a few of the metal panels and ther is vent on the sides but still seems so hot inside .. it is in direct sunlight but its the only place for it to go and I can make it look horrible and junky de to my neighbors around me.. does any one have any ideas on how i can possxxibly cool this building down that will be cheap or free , i dont have the funds to sink into it or i would have built them a nice hen house.. i have to use what i have... .. they stay outside during the day but its so hot however they do have places to lay in the shade but they choose not to ... what do you suggest?[​IMG]

2. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    You can put a sprinkler on the top and leave it run during the hottest part of the day. WE used to do that with our old mobile home. Looks funny, but it works and doesn't cost too much if you have a well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    Try spraying water on the roof. I've heard it can lower the inside temperature by 10 degrees or so.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Is there a way to get a cover above the roof of the shed? My hen house has a metal roof and above it we have several aluminum corrugated sheets which deflect most of the heat from the sun.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Use the "Search" tab up above and you will find countless great threads on what you can do to help birds beat the heat.

You don't say where you're located or what constitutes 'hot' but a few of the basics are:

Fans (some also add AC) - they should be able to choose whether or not to be in front of the fans - these should be available day and night
    Cold water available at all times during heat (can put big chunks of ice in water to keep it cold longer)
    Icy fruits - can freeze slices of watermelon, for example, and then put them out
    No heavy food during the heat of the day
    Lots of lots of shade should be available
    If birds are panting a lot the situation it's a stressor on their bodies. Electrolytes may help. Spritz Pedialtye or Gatorade on fruit (these liquids should be kept refrigerated after opening)
    Some folks also provide misters in an area where the birds can choose to visit or not
    Any bird really struggling should be brought indoors to AC to recover

JJ

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You could paint it white too,that will bring it down some,spray water like the other posters said. Get a cheap fan and throw it there and face it so it blows out.

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Bigger windows, oscillating fan, paint it white.

8. traybo

traybo Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    it has been pretty hot and vry humid... i live in tennesse. they dont seem to be panting to bad , but htey do hold there wings out so i no they are hot... i never let them run out of water and they get fresh water every day and rite now several times a day due to treating them with antibiotics... im gonna see if i can put a tarp somehow over it to off set the direct sun on the metal ... i feel so bad for the.. they do have a few places to hid in the shade but they wont go they walk scratching in the sun... i dont get them... thanks for all your replies with out yal id woul be cluelessand hopeless..[​IMG]

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ice in the water as much as possible and offer cold cold fruits - in Tennessee it gets over the top hot and humid and people in that area are losing birds. Go tot get a lot more shade and move teh air with fans some how some way.

JJ

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Set tall posts outside shed and suspend a shade cloth / tarp above the roof, so no direct sun on the metal. Even a partial shade triangle would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by