How to count the hatching days

waldeneffect

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
southwest Virginia
This feels like a stupid question, but I'm a bit stumped on when exactly day 21 is. This is my fifth hatch, and they all seem to be coming out on day 22 each time...or at least what I think is day 22. That might mean I need to increase the temperature in my incubator, but it also might mean I don't know how to count.

So, my question is --- if you put chicks in an incubator in the morning on a Friday, is day 21 three weeks from that Thursday or three weeks from that Friday?

Do you have to factor in the time it takes for the eggs to come up to the temperature inside the incubator?

Does anyone know if the incubation time for chickens is really 21.5 days, or 20.5 days, or 21 days? For example, if I started those eggs in the morning, should I expect to see chicks hatching in the morning three weeks later, or in the evening? (I like watching them come out, so it would be handy to know what time of day to put them in to make that happen.)

Thanks for your help!

Eggs set on a Friday morning are expected to hatch on the third Friday morning following. Of course this doesn't mean that all the eggs will zip at the same instant. Its just a rule of thumb. I don't think its necessary to make any allowance for the eggs to come up to temperature. If you find you are consistently hatching on day 22 you might want to up your temp just a bit.

Yep, I was counting the third Friday morning as day 22. If you count the days, that means the day you put chicks in the incubator is day 0, not day 1. Good to know! Now I know that my incubator is doing its job and the chicks are actually hatching on day 21. :)

Okay, so I'm late to the game, but I'm having the same issue.

My chicks hatched today: Day 23.

My thermometer isn't digital, so it's not particularly specific, BUT how many degrees should I increase the temp to have it hatch on the proper day?

Is there a formula? 0.5 degrees = 24 hours?

Thanks in advance,

~A

I'd say if your getting good hatches with healthy chickens don't worry about the day. I'd rather stick w what works vs trying to change something to try and ensure a perfect 21 days.

I am so glad someone had asked this question. I took a clutch of abandoned eggs from a not so broody who hid the eggs. I put them in the incubator April 25 so hatch day should be May 16. 2 of them hatched on day 20 they are now in the brooder box. I treid to leave them but they were freaking out. Climbing all over the other eggs and I worried they would injure themselves.

I have realised that they never hatch " on time " . It's just like humans, who delivers exactly on their due date ? My unscientific observation is that older eggs ie: 7-14 days, hatch at the 21 day mark. Newer aggs, like less than a week, seam to hatch a day early. But thats just an observation, the point is, its never exact. It sort of depends also how long it takes your eggs internal temperature to get up to where it starts to develop. We cant really measure that.

My eggs will usually begin hatching on day 20. I get a good hatch and my chicks are healthy so I don't bother adjusting. If my hatch rates were suffering or I was seeing chicks with issues in my case I would re-calibrate and possibly drop the temp a bit.

My eggs will usually begin hatching on day 20. I get a good hatch and my chicks are healthy so I don't bother adjusting. If my hatch rates were suffering or I was seeing chicks with issues in my case I would re-calibrate and possibly drop the temp a bit.
Yes, I agree. It seams almost always the hatch starts on day 20. If I don't get a at least one pip at day 20 , I begin to get worried.

So, do you count day 1 as zero "0"??? I was kind of wondering this too because I printed off a sheet to keep track of your hatch, Each day you fill in the specifications of temp, humidity, hand turning, etc. And it counted day 1 as day 1. I actually set my eggs on Wednesday night before bed but didn't start counting until Thursday morning. So hatch day should have been the third Thursday after, but If you count day 1 as 1 (according to the hatch-track sheet), then 21 days falls on the Wednesday before, not Thursday. I was and still am confused about this.

Back
Top Bottom