How to cover my run effectively in term of cost and lifespan

newowner001

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Boston, MA
I have an old run built just with 2x4 and chicken wire, no other materials, so no cover. I am starting to use it now. It looks like I need to key run dry to give the chicken a good environment. I need your ideas to cover it by spending less money and lasting a long time.

Attachments

• run2.jpg
    run2.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 19
It's hard to beat good-quality metal roofing -- as long as it's well ventilated so as to prevent condensation where warm, moist air hits cold metal (in some climates it may be necessary to insulate the underside).

If you use plywood and shingles don't skimp on quality because cheap roofing deteriorates rapidly, but you can often get discount shingles from bundles that had come open or in discontinued colors.

I used two heavy duty tarps over my run this last winter. The run is built on a metal frame and covered with chicken wire. I had no problems with the snow load; just used a push broom to clear it off.

I used zip ties to tie the tarps to the frame. It held up very well. I don't remember how much the tarps were, but all told around $60.(?)

The old run looks like it is starting to fall apart. . And so will not protect your chickens from predators...

I would suggest starting to scrounge...

Check free Facebook pages, Craigslist, ask at construction sites if you may scrounge in their trash, stop by places that fix windows and ask if they have old fogged windows that you can have for free. Also stop at all places that get and the discard pallets.

Sheds, camper tops, gazebos, and similar can all be used for coops, runs and framing.

Once you have a stockpile of materials make a new and sturdier coop and run.

Fogged windows and pallets combined, make a great predator proof fence.

It is difficult to get free good wire.

Where I live free fishnet is easy to get and can be used as a good top for a run.

It's hard to tell from the pictures how sturdy that is or its dimensions. You may be able to rip out the chicken wire and attach cattle panels covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. For a cover, you could potentially use more cattle panel or go with @aart 's EMT conduit approach. Then, used billboard vinyl, shade screen or landscape frabic can be placed over that - depending on what your're looking to accomplish. But, as Alaskan pointed out, if the structure is not worth saving, you may be better to start over.

Can you walk in there easily? It really may be worth building what you want instead of fixing what you have.

Dont skimp on your craftsmanship either. So im all for repurposing materials to save money, especially these days, but just becsuse the materials aren't new or in perfect condition doesn't mean the final product can't be just as functional, reliable and long lasting when its designed and constructed properly.

Conventional metal roof, asphalt shingle, wood shingle, etc. Will provide protection for 20-50yrs reliably or fail in 5-10 if poorly constructed.

Below is a photo of a new goat shelter im currently in the middle of building. It is 9'x10' with 8ft walls sloping to 7ft. It will include 2 pass through standard 80" doors so that it can be entered from either pasture, as well as a louvered vent and 65"x 24" sliding glass window.

So far it is 99% salvaged material from other unneeded structures from the property, abandoned/discarded material (yes i dumpster dove for 2x4s), i found abandoned 6x6s and 4x6s in our woods from the previous owners to use as the base, or scraps leftover from other projects. The only thing i bought so far were the nails that i purchased at an estate auction. I got $500 + worth of nails and fasteners for $28. I have a life expectancy for it to exceed15-20yrs but i expect to grow the enterprise and be in need of expansion/replacement in 3-5 yrs. So i did not want to spend $2k on something i will likely replace with a much larger barn in the near future. That being said, i built it assuming it needed to last 15yrs +.
Its roof will be asphalt shingles left over from my chicken coop, sons clubhouse, and my fathers workshop roof that we replaced a few yrs ago. I keep EVERYTHING so should the need arise.....I still have tar paper, drip edge, and gutters from old projects.

Point is, conventional design and materials work great when constructed properly, but if you think outside the box, you can use almost anything and still end up with a strong reliable functioning structure.

Attachments

• 20210623_173718.jpg
    20210623_173718.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom