how to cover your rear when dh shoots the neighbors dog? pre-emptive?

Quote:
No one should have to but if you want to know that you are protected without having to take the chance of losing your belongings then you do it. Just like your home. No one should have to get a lock or an alarm system but because you want to keep your family, pets and belongings safe you do.
I think putting up a fence comes with the territory if you are going to have animals of any kind.

i go with the idea of the 3 s'-shoot,shovel and shhh! if there is problem with noise use a .22 cal with only the last few inches of the barrel extending past the open door of your home. the majority of the sound will be inside the house and the main noise heard outside is the bullet breaking the sound barrier. I also do not condone this action however it beats idea of letting them know you killed their animal and you winding up in some tree hugger lawsuit because they like animal rights more than human rights.

Threads like this always make me sooo glad that i live in oklahoma! Here if its bothering livestock your within your right to shoot it unless its a protected animal.. you know..like an eagle or a falcon.

Im surrounded by cattle ranches that liberally practice the SSS rule. My lgds occasionally roam but they are usually chasing coyotes when they do it. They *never* bother livestock and no one bothers them.

Theres a lot of tolerance for dogs..whether they are working dogs or pets..but that tolerance ends the instant ones seem harrassing livestock..and it doesnt matter who the dog belongs to when it happens.

And around here chickens are considered livestock..where are they not considered livestock?

The thing that confuses me is, why is it called "free ranging" to allow your chickens to roam freely, accessing all the neighbors yards, gardens, flower beds, etc. and considered any more "alright" than their dogs "free ranging"? EVERYONE needs their pets contained on their property.....cats, dogs, chickens. Oh, and I have to agree, chaining dogs IS cruel. Not once in awhile, but to make them LIVE on a chain, yes, it is. They need fences, you need a fence. Problem solved.

I livr on three acres, and the only fenced area is the horses area, which will not contain the chickens. My chickens free range, and i haven't seen them leave the property. I will not fence in teh 3 A for the chickens. I have only lost one to a dog. I informed the neighbour, and she offered to pay for it, which I turned down.

It is my choice to free range my chickens. If I lose them to predators, that is MY fault.--Not the dogs. You can try a letter, I think it would be a good option, as well as talking to your neighbours, but seriousl, IMO, if you lose them b/c they are free ranging--that is a chance you take. If you don't want to chance it, have an area for them to be in when you are not outside with them. I don't think it is necessary to fence the whole lot in--just an area for the chikens when you are not out.

My dogs are also not on a leash, and I wouldn't think of putting them on one. But, my dogs are only out when I am out with them.

With a note, if they love and care for the safety of their dogs, they might opt for keeping a close eye on them, knowing you have chickens. my neighbour has made the necessary changes to make sure her dogs don't bother me anymore, and she is aneighbour who doesn't like me. If your neighbours want good relations with you, theywill do even more to maintain the peace.

It is a persons choice to free range. I do NOT chain my dogs up, but they are in a very large kenneled area. I don't see why I have to add another expense and my neighbors don't. I think they are completely responsible for their dogs actions, just as I feel a parent is responsible for a childs actions. It is their job to watch them and not just kick them out the door. My "closest" neighbor is actually the most responsible with his dogs, it's the ones that are 1/2 mile(or more) away that wander down the dead end road in the summer.
Well, we'll see how the summer goes, and how we contain our chickens. This will be interesting
Krista

I live in KY. We have the same rights. Our law reads something to the effect that a dog may run loose during the day, if the dog is not bothering anyone or does not have a history of biting or destroying property. (That includes livestock.) But no dog is allowed to run loose at night, except hunting dogs. The owner has to be out hunting with the dog. But it also states that if the dog is destroying livestock or etc. the landowner has the right to dispose of the dog.

Our county has a leash law too.

You might want to check your state and/or county laws.

I like the idea of the note... But I have tried talking to neighbors in the past about their dog(s). The neighbor(s) have always gotten mad. They always say I can't stand to see the dog chained or fenced up. That is not right to do that to him/her. Well, it is better than seeing your dog injured or worse. If they really love their dog and want to be good neighbors, they will do their part. They may start complaining about your dog or chicken or whatever.

I have never killed anyone's dog but the neighbor(s) think I would. Talking to the neighbor(s) didn't do any good but when they see you walk outside with the gun and take aim. They will call their dog(s).

My neighbor had 5 dogs that started running my horses. I asked them nicely to call off their dogs. They just laughed and let the dogs continue their game. I walked inside and came back out with a rifle, took aim & all of a sudden it wasn't so funny anymore. The neighbor and his family started yelling for the dogs to come back. I never fired the first shot. I haven't had a problem with them since.

I have dogs but they are have their fenced in area. My chickens & etc have their areas too.

I try to be the good neighbor and keep my dogs and etc off the neighbors property. I only ask for them to do the same.

I would check around for some fencing. My aunt bought a dog pen at WalMart or Rural King. She uses that for her chicken lot. She had coaster wheels welded on the bottom. She moves it from one part of the yard to the other. She locks the wheels and doesn't have to worry about them. It is like a huge chicken tractor.

Good luck with your neighbors!! But if your DH shoots remember the 3S's.

Quote:
How far from home does a chicken usually roam? Mine dont cover more than a couple acres.. i live on 50..and my closest neighbor is a half mile away. My chickens never make it that far..if they did..theyd be wandering not free ranging and id be responsible for any damage that they cause. Dogs on the other hand easily cover a couple of miles in a few minutes. That, imo, is the difference between *free ranging* chickens and *wandering* dogs. Its also possible to train a dog..doubt anyone could boundary train a chicken.

Fences are not the cure all for predators either. Dogs, coons, coyotes etc go under, over and through fences.

I would try the note approach first.
I have dealt with nasty neighbors. Sometimes you can fight something until your head aches. Unless you really have a case and have the law on your side then you aren't going to win. Remember if you were to shoot the dog you may be starting WWIII. You have animals too and you wouldn't want them to get shot just because someone is mad at you.
I'm sorry to say this, but the only way you may protect your animals is to put up a fence. I am not saying I wouldn't be mad if I had to do this. Sometimes you have to suck it up and instead of fighting look out for yourself.

I also want to add that the neighbor that didn't want to contain (chain) their dog, also didn't EVER let them indoors and provided no shelter. I don't beleive they did anything for the sake of their pet, I believe they just couldn't be bothered. They just got a dog for the kids, and we were lucky they fed it (always tearing through the trash). Gladly they moved away.
Krista

Back
Top Bottom