1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How To Create A Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Garden

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PlanterTomato, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PlanterTomato

PlanterTomato Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    While at the San Francisco Garden Show last week, I had an opportunity to meet with and interview Jessi Bloom, author of the new book, Free Range Chicken Gardens, How to Create A Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Garden. Jessi talks about how to create a beautiful garden that won't get destroyed by free ranging birds and about her book. If you would like to read the transcript of that interview and see some photos of Jessi's garden design work, check out Free Range Chickens.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks for sharing the link. I enjoyed the chicken section of your blog.

3. californiagirl

californiagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Yucaipa, CA
    Thank you! I put in a hold request at the library, but I have a feeling it will be going on my wish list for Mother's Day.

4. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Oh Yes.....On the Mother's day List....If I can wait that long!! Thanks for sharing this info.

5. PlanterTomato

PlanterTomato Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks for the kind words and for visiting my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I found Jessi to be quite wonderful and I think that you'll get many good gardening ideas her book. The pictures alone are worth the price of the book.

6. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Awesome. This book is now on my list. My birds are going to have access to all my gardens. I'm kind of rotating my chicken runs. Early spring, fall and winter they will be in my Huge vegetable garden that has a 60 to 70 diameter circular garden attached to it. Probably just less than 1/4 acre for the 13 birds. In the summer and late spring they have 625 sq.ft. run and free range the 2 acre lot when we can supervise. My coop and run are empty right now and will remain empty for another 4 or 5 weeks. So I'm planting sunflowers and some other greens(Rainbow Swiss Chard, Purple Kale, and Collards) in the 25X25 Run. I'm sure they will have fun destroying this stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by