How to create buff laced brahmas?

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Anyone know how buff laced brahmas were originally made? What colors were crossed to make them? Did they just start with light, dark and/or buff or did they do something else to make them? I would like to start my own breeding project and try to make my own. Yes I understand it's easier to just find buff laced brahmas but I like a challenge and it would mean alot more to me if I got to make my own. How would I go about making them? Please don't use fancy terms when talking about genetics because I will not understand lol. I am still practicing my genetics. I know how the genetics of feathered feet, combs, black skin and toe numbers and stuff works but I don't know my color genetics yet. Picture of one of my current brahmas cause he's cute!

Attachments

• Snapchat-623596348.jpg
    Snapchat-623596348.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 48
I think most buff laced brahmas are actually white due to splash rather than dominant white but I could be very wrong about this.
Get the biggest, best buff brahmas you can and some white laced red Wyandottes. (Or Cornish, if you find them (in which case you would have white, not splash base.)
You will have to breed towards the pea comb and feathered legs and select for color along with Brahma type.
They will have mahogany but you can select for either a mahogany ground color or gold, whatever floats your goat.

Anyone know how buff laced brahmas were originally made? What colors were crossed to make them? Did they just start with light, dark and/or buff or did they do something else to make them?
You are talking about the ones that are a golden buff color, with white edges on the feathers so it looks like lace, right?

There is no way to make them with any combination of light, dark, or buff.

How would I go about making them? Please don't use fancy terms when talking about genetics because I will not understand lol. I am still practicing my genetics.

I agree with @Amer that White Laced Red Cornish would be good to cross with Buff Brahmas as a starting point.

The first generation with Wyandottes will be all blue laced red but you breed each sex to a buff brahma parent you can strengthen brahma genetics (though you might temporarily lose color.) You will need to hatch a lot to try to get blue laced birds with well feathered legs and pea combs (and gold feathering if that’s your cup of tea.)
Hatch numbers, like 100 probably.
From there on don’t outcross from your strain and select for splash laced coloring, pea comb, and feathered legs.

I think most buff laced brahmas are actually white due to splash rather than dominant white but I could be very wrong about this.
Get the biggest, best buff brahmas you can and some white laced red Wyandottes. (Or Cornish, if you find them (in which case you would have white, not splash base.)
You will have to breed towards the pea comb and feathered legs and select for color along with Brahma type.
They will have mahogany but you can select for either a mahogany ground color or gold, whatever floats your goat.
To my understanding, there is only one creator of this variety-Dan Powell who used dominant white. I know splash is used to create lemon pyle in most Brahmas unlike many breeds, but to my understanding, splash has never been used in buff laced. :)

Back
Top Bottom