How to cure coryza?

Here is a chicken's pic a found that is having the same problem as me although mine hasnt gotten this big
1591621020745.png

Here is a chicken's pic a found that is having the same problem as me although mine hasnt gotten this big View attachment 2183056
The chicken in the photo you found has infection. Was there a description along with that photo?
The swelling above the eye is likely pus. Note in the photo the nostrils also look to have thick yellow mucous.

Chicken pus has to be physically removed, it will not dry up on it's own even if you you antibiotics.

There was no description and here are more pictures. He has a runny nose also.
0B91C9C7-436F-47FA-BC50-70FEB3468491.jpeg
42AE022E-ECDD-4F3A-9C35-4C62F62FE9C6.jpeg

What antibiotics should i use? No i dont smell a bad odor. And how will i remove the pus when his eyes arent closed like my past can chickens with pus which you saw that thread

What antibiotics should i use? No i dont smell a bad odor. And how will i remove the pus when his eyes arent closed like my past can chickens with pus which you saw that thread
Did you actually TRY to smell around the birds mouth? Open its mouth and take a CLOSE whiff. Is there a foul odor? While you're at it, look for lesions inside the birds mouth and let us know what you see. Depending what you tell us will define what disease it might be and recommended treatments.

Last edited:
took a close wiff foul smell but I dont know about if there are lesions I can't tell but the places inside the both that i CAN see I see no lesions.

took a close wiff foul smell but I dont know about if there are lesions I can't tell but the places inside the both that i CAN see I see no lesions.
Thank you. The foul smell verifies Coryza. Dont worry about lesions.
You have two choices dealing with Coryza: Treat, or cull all your sick birds.
If you decide to treat your birds, it will require a sulfa drug in combination with an antibiotic.
I recommend Sulfadimethoxine which will require a prescription from a vet, or SMZ-TMP also known as Bactrim or Septra. See post #2 where to order it.
I also recommend Baytril be given in conjunction with the sulfa drug.
The Youtube video in my previous post shows how to remove the infection around the eyes.

Birds with Coryza are carriers for life and will spread the disease to other birds including healthy birds. You must maintain a closed flock. No birds out, no new birds in. Do not sell nor give away birds. They must stay on your property. You must maintain strict biosecurity.
If you decide to cull sick birds, incinerate them, or cull and bury them deep in the ground away from your pens/flock.
I'm sorry you're going through this and I wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom