How to deal with huge tear in skin

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Hello,
I thought I had a totally secure coop and run, but last friday a coon find its one weak spot. He killed 2 of my beautiful easter-eggers and slashed another one. After reading up on how to treat injuries, I decided to bring her into the house and clean her wound well, and keep it covered with triple antibiotic ointment.
She's been inside for almost 4 days. She's also on an oral antibiotic.
the wound looks okay.......no signs of infection. But its a big wound........3" across and 2" wide. Her muscle and most of the fascia seem to be intact. Its just that her skin is missing. I was fairly overwhelmed when this happened, and probably should have tried to stitch it up somewhat.
I'm thinking its too late, since the edges of the good skin are attached fairly well. I would have to release those edges to be able to pull it over the bare muscle.

Am I doing the right thing by just keeping it slathered with antibiotic ointment, and letting it heal slowly on its own? I've read about "cell migration" and they say to not let any scab form, but to let the edges slowly grow into the bare area.

Please advise me on your experience with this.
She is eating okay and acting okay so far.
darn those coons.
Thanks for your help!

It will grow from the outside in. I had several BOs with big tears in the skin and they healed just fine. I just isolated them to keep the roosters off of them. I didn't even use antibiotic as there were no flies in the early spring. Yours should be fine.

My horse ran between the fence and our semi truck. Needless to say, the semi truck step won and he wound up with a tear clean through the hide, 12-13" long clean to the muscle. The vet stitched it closed then I applied aluspray twice a day for the first two weeks which was followed by scarlet oil twice a day until it's healed. It's about 7 weeks old and it looks spectacular. Both products can be purchased at your local feed store. PS When I got to the scarlet oil stage I would pick off any thick hardened scabs.

Yes, you're doing fine. Keep it clean and keep the ointment on it. It will heal by granulation; you will see bright red tissue forming, which will grow across and heal the wound, and leave scar tissue. Suturing would not necessarily have been good even when fresh, certainly not now; to some extent, it sews the germs in.

Keep her indoors, but watch for maggots anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's been 4 days and no sign of infection, that is a great sign!
thumbsup.gif
Keep it moist with the triple antibiotic ointment, and you'll see it starting to fill in around the edges. Just keep slathering that ointment on there!

Shelly

Thanks everyone!
Makes me feel a bit better that we're on the right track.
I appreciate your input!

Back
Top Bottom