How to deal with stinky poop smell if I use a chicken tractor?

Suzy W

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
My tractor sits in the grass, and my "three girls" fly up to the roost near the top at night. I move it to a new location twice a week mostly because of the large amount of poops and their smell. (The girls are set out to pasture for about 3 hours each afternoon.)

How do I use hydrated lime or food grade DE to cut down on the smell if I'm not using shavings, etc. in the grass? (I only have shavings in the roost/nest box area.)

Every post I've read talks about mixing the lime or DE with shavings of some sort. Could I just sprinkle lime or DE directly on the grass? Will it kill the grass?

Should I sprinkle the new area prior to moving the tractor or sprinkle it once the poops have built up before I move it again?

A little confused about the process, and I'm a newbie. Thanks for your patience! I'm sure you all have walked newbies through this same thing a bunch of times!

Yes, it's completely ventilated. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera or cell phone with a camera to take a picture for you. It's made of 2 large dog crates totaling 3x10 plus a 5x5 fenced addition. One end, where the roosts are is tarped. So completely and well ventilated.

Could the poop smell be that they are on medicated feed? (Purina Start & Grow preventing coccidiosis.)

Bump!
smile.png

I have two chickens in a 4 by 8 tractor and if there's poop there, I can't see it. They must be saving it up for a special occasion! Or they're eating it.

It's amazing how much 3 little banties can poo in one day. I have 2 silkies and 1 cochin in their dog house turned banty coop/tractor in the front yard that I move 8' (the length of run) every morning.

The poo works it's way down in the lawn quickly. No oder at all.

In the coop, I have wood pellets and aspin shavings. No oder there either.

I made a small drawer that slides under their roost. I put a few shavings in it and dump that every day. I'd say that cuts the poo down by almost 1/2. You could use a simple droppings board and scrape it down. I like to get more of the poo into my compost heap anyway where it will help my garden more than my lawn.

Back
Top Bottom