How to deal with stinky poop smell if I use a chicken tractor?

Yep, I think the key is to get something under the roost to catch their poo. They poo an amazing amount during the night--I think much more than during the day. But the poo shouldn't smell that much anyway with a few chickens--what brand of food are you using? I wouldn't use lime or DE on the grass--it changes the pH and might make it too alkaline, especially over time. It really should not be necessary to use anything on the grass, I would start with their diet, and cleaning the overnight poo.

I agree, just move it more often
smile.png

Pat

We move ours, 1 hen in each tractor which are 4x8 every week. I water the area in really well and that helps tons. They don't get too smelly unless it's been raining or we've had to wait to move them for some reason.

We have the best looking grass around!

sprinkle the lime on the waste to keep down flies and smell. If you see waste turn it white, grass and all.

Karl

Quote:
That's about what I say except for 5 chickens in about the same run space. I let them out in the evenings to range though.
I move the tractor every day, unless it's pouring. It really only smells if it rains. I change the shavings in their little doghouse about every 2 weeks since there really isn't enough space to go very deep with them.

The grass looks kinda smooshed and trampled, with a few holes dug in it when I move the tractor but it grows back in about a week even greener from the nitrogen! I'm afraid if I leave the tractor in one place too long 1) the grass gets yanked out and takes a lot longer to grow back and 2) their poop would overload and "burn" the grass/area.

I use a garden hose to spray the poop off of the hail screen bottom
before I move my tractor. It's good for the grass and the chickens
get a nice fresh run after its moved.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll put a poop catcher under the roosts in the morning to catch the overnight poops.

Anyone get especially smelly poop from Purina Start and Grow preventing coccidisis?

My chicken tractor is 4'4 inside area 4'6 outside area, has held 3-4 hens and hasn't smelled when I move it every 3 days but after 2 weeks it would. Is the ground wet? If it continues my only suggestions are to maybe rake a little of the poo each day, or better yet move the tractor more often. If rain is making it wet, cover the top portion of the run to keep it drier. Mulch or other fluffy organic material like dry leaves could help. I have heard that 'stall dry' can help, I haven't tried it, I think it is little volcanic rocks that look like kitty litter that can help dry things.
Colleen

Back
Top Bottom