How to deter a hawk from my ducklings?

Pics
The same here, but I never saw hawks swoop by my house and survey until I got chickens.
I wouldn't have been as concerned about the circling except it was low and I was out there. I don't believe hawks are afraid of people.
All you have to do is read through the predator forum to see how many times a full sized bird has been taken down by a hawk - they will eat on site too they don't always take their prey. And even if they didnt take it - they definitely can kill on site.

I know they eat on site. I’ve heard cats die that way around here. If a human is very nearby they aren’t going to eat on site unless something is wrong with them.

It isn’t about being fearful; the natural instinct of wild animals is to avoid humans. If they aren’t avoiding humans they are abnormal, not normal.

Yeah they don't come on in day light though. A game camera would be good at least you can see what maybe stalking. Think about covering your pen secure what ever you cover with so nothing can fly in or climb in. Also raccoons like to reach through fencing and try and pull our birds through so hardware cloth 3' up from the ground is always a good idea too. There is always something wanting to eat our birds we have to try and stay ahead of them.

I know this isn't a hatching egg thread, but I hope its ok to rant to you guys, I'm about to order 6 silkie eggs for 23$ from a nice lady from Facebook, should I go through with it or travel 2 and 1/2 hours to collect 6 eggs for 32$?? I'm so unsure.

Back
Top Bottom