How to deter a hawk from my ducklings?

Pics

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
5 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
My Muscovy hen had 25 babies who are going to be about six weeks old this Friday. On Sunday the first hawk to prey on them got two.

Just now, my mom and I heard the other birds going crazy outside, and we ran out since that usually means a hawk is around. Another baby gone.

Is there any way to help deter the hawk? We've put up adequate shelter for them, the silly duck just won't bring her babies under it, or they are too far away when the hawk strikes.

My other question is to ask: will putting my drake out there with them help deter the hawk? We have him separated currently because he keeps trying to mate with my hen, and we didn't want that. But at this point my mom and I are wondering if that could help.

Thank you for replies. I'm just upset that I've raised them so well, only to have a hawk start preying on them... :(

Thats so sad :(

Ide love to see some pictures of the mother duck and babies!

Are they free ranging in a large yard?

Here are a few pictures I took this morning, and one a few days ago.

Aspenpic.png

Babies1.png

babies2.png

As for your question, yes, they are free ranging in a large, enclosed space behind our house. (Not exactly a yard, lol...) But yes.

The biggest deterrent is human or animal presence like a large dog. Raptors (and all wild birds) stay far far away from large dogs and humans.

We don't have a dog, and we probably aren't going to get one...So I might just spend some time out there tomorrow and stay nearby them. Not like I have anything better to do...

But thank you.

I have eight kids, and a seven month old 90+ pound Chesapeake Bay Retriever. So either the dog is on tie out near the pen, or someone is out there. We have great shelters, but they’d all rather stay out of them too.

Can you make shelters in their area? Can be an old table things similar look into predator tape I use it here. Plus mine have plenty of trees bushes to hide under sorry for your losses beautiful muscovies. If the ducklings are 6 weeks old why not let the drake out with them my Muscovy drake has ever tried to mate with a young duckling of course he is going to want to mate with his adult female. but take all eggs away if you do. My want more ducklings

Unless they are always under a shelter or pen or netting, there is always a risk, if you have hawks. Mine roam my yard and I have 2 small dogs that are constantly in and out. But I have had losses to hawks. Large areas are hard to cover, and small areas don’t give birds much room, so it’s kinda a tossup of risk/reward.
My best alarm are my roosters that are in pens but the ducks have to be smart and heed the warning too. They more hiding places and cover they have, the better chance they will have.

Back
Top Bottom