How to deter wild birds?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mylittlechickpea, Jul 11, 2010.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Songster

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My chicken is living in my small fenced backyard. She has everything she needs back there, a garden, dirt, water, things to keep her busy throughout the day. She doesn't really have a coop, she has lots of perches and things back there. There aren't really too many predators in Hawaii.. I think there are mongooses at the golf course not too far off, but I haven't seen them in the neighborhood. I worry mostly about a neighbors cat getting out, but I haven't even seen a cat outdoors in weeks!

Well last week I noticed she was going through food like crazy! Unusual because she eats all my weeds all day long and only eats her food in the morning and at night. What gives? Found the culprits when I came down to make my morning coffee... Doves and mina birds!! Agh!

Is there anything I can put up or hang down from the eves, that isn't hideous but will still deter the wild birds from coming into my yard and eating all her food? I went through 2 pounds in four days!! And I worry they will bring in some kind of disease and make her sick.

ETA: I bring her food inside as soon as I spot the first dove in the morning, but somehow they still seem to get an awful lot....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Here's a link to How To Build This Chicken Treadle Feeder. It's made out of wood and seems a bit complicated to me but perhaps you can do it. The chicken steps on it and it opens so she can feed when she steps off it closes again. It's very clever! I'm hoping my Dad and his wood working friend will build me a few for Christmas [​IMG]

http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/feeder.php

3. Terri O

Terri O Songster

Can you make some sort of coop-like thing that she has to go into to eat? Maybe the wild birds will stay out. Also, doves like to feed on the ground, perhaps a raised platform house thing she can jump into? I wouldnt worry too much about cats...a chicken is a pretty big thing for them to go after--and they dont attract them either because chickens dont flit around and that's what cats like. Good luck! Terri O--whose coop is constantly filled with sparrows! [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    She really needs a coop of some sort...
    check out CL for free dog houses or something...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by