How to deworm with Safeguard dewormer suspension 10%?

Not really. I have been reading about respiratory issues but my hens symptoms sound more like gapeworm to me. I will try to upload a video of some of the things she is doing in minute.
A video would be great.

I have a hen who is currently being kept in the house that I suspect has gapeworm. She's mouth breathing and stretching her head out for air, shaking her head from side to side a lot, and coughing occasionally.
Hmm...she is eating and drinking but she shakes her head from side to side like crazy when she eats and she drinks a lot of water when she is eating. She shakes her head when drinking water too. She also does have to stop eating and starts breathing out of her mouth or gasping for minute or two. And one more thing, after she drinks a lot of water and then starts eating, sometimes a little bit of food and water comes back up. Is this normal?
Same hen that you think was egg bound?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dosage-of-calcium-gluconate-23-for-egg-bound-hen.1442103/

I note that you mention she drinks a lot of water a couple of times in your posts. She has food and water come back up as well.
Is she pooping?
What does her crop feel like?
Does she lay eggs?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If the crop is not empty, then read the article linked below and begin treating her. I would also feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid. Often a crop issue is related to a reproductive issue or possibly worms or coccidiosis overload.
Since you began treating for worms, I would finish treating her with the correct dose as mentioned in POST#2. If you find that she needs treating for crop issues you can begin that as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Same hen that you think was egg bound?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dosage-of-calcium-gluconate-23-for-egg-bound-hen.1442103/

I note that you mention she drinks a lot of water a couple of times in your posts. She has food and water come back up as well.
Is she pooping?
What does her crop feel like?
Does she lay eggs?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If the crop is not empty, then read the article linked below and begin treating her. I would also feel her abdomen for bloat/swelling or fluid. Often a crop issue is related to a reproductive issue or possibly worms or coccidiosis overload.
Since you began treating for worms, I would finish treating her with the correct dose as mentioned in POST#2. If you find that she needs treating for crop issues you can begin that as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Yeah same one. I've pretty much ruled out egg bound now. I thought she was egg bound because you can feel something like an oval shaped mass in her abdomen but I've tried everything to get the "egg" out and still nothing. Since I read most hens will die in 24 -48 hours of not being able to get the egg out I'm pretty certain that its not egg bound because Monday will be a week that she has been sick. She is still pooping good, she hasn't layed any eggs since she went into the molt a few months ago, and her crop right now is squishy and almost empty. There's some food in there but not much which means her crop is emptying because it was full yesterday evening. And yes, she was drinking a ton of water but hasn't been drinking as much. I've also not seen any food and water come back up since early yesterday morning.

Yeah same one. I've pretty much ruled out egg bound now. I thought she was egg bound because you can feel something like an oval shaped mass in her abdomen but I've tried everything to get the "egg" out and still nothing. Since I read most hens will die in 24 -48 hours of not being able to get the egg out I'm pretty certain that its not egg bound because Monday will be a week that she has been sick. She is still pooping good, she hasn't layed any eggs since she went into the molt a few months ago, and her crop right now is squishy and almost empty. There's some food in there but not much which means her crop is emptying because it was full yesterday evening. And yes, she was drinking a ton of water but hasn't been drinking as much. I've also not seen any food and water come back up since early yesterday morning.
I would definitely re-check that crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. This is really the only way to accurately gauge crop function. Squishy and drinking a lot...say crop issue.
Continue with your de-worming.

You can feel a mass in the abdomen likely she's laid internally, has Salpingitis or other reproductive issue. Sometimes there can be fluid in the abdomen to but not always. Inflammation from Reproductive disorders can make it difficult for hens to breath sometimes and they gape.
Hopefully you will see some improvement. If she's suffering and struggling for a while then putting her out of her misery is another option.

To find out more about what is going on if you lose her, send the body to your state lab for necropsy or you can do your own looking in the abdomen for that egg shaped mass, etc.

I thought she was egg bound because you can feel something like an oval shaped mass in her abdomen but I've tried everything to get the "egg" out and still nothing.
Is it on her left side? If so, it's probably her gizzard, they feel a lot like an egg, but they are in the wrong spot.
chicken skeleton and gizzard 4 d.png
gizzard_3.png

Back
Top Bottom