How to distinguish??

The Greens here in the US that have been imported over the years are likely a mix of the three subspecies. Unless you personally bring them in from Fredrich you can't really trust that any are of one subspecies. There are two terms used in our Greens, Imported and American and neither can be claimed to be of one certain subspecies. Imported is used for being of known bloodlines and 'pure' even if a mix and American are known as being true Greens but of unknown decent. Another problem is that some of the very high percentage hybrids can not be distinguished from Greens. Those hybrids are fairly common and many people think they have true Greens when they may not.

It takes a very special person to keep and raise Greens, most people that buy them are apt to lose them. They need very large pens and are likely to kill their mates. Even the hens are known to kill each other. They are quite wild and bounce off the pen walls endangering themselves with broken necks, legs, and wings. They are big scary birds and difficult to catch and maintain and are a danger to the person in their pen. They reproduce in very low numbers compared to other peafowl which makes them costly to maintain.

The Greens here in the US that have been imported over the years are likely a mix of the three subspecies. Unless you personally bring them in from Fredrich you can't really trust that any are of one subspecies. There are two terms used in our Greens, Imported and American and neither can be claimed to be of one certain subspecies. Imported is used for being of known bloodlines and 'pure' even if a mix and American are known as being true Greens but of unknown decent. Another problem is that some of the very high percentage hybrids can not be distinguished from Greens. Those hybrids are fairly common and many people think they have true Greens when they may not.

It takes a very special person to keep and raise Greens, most people that buy them are apt to lose them. They need very large pens and are likely to kill their mates. Even the hens are known to kill each other. They are quite wild and bounce off the pen walls endangering themselves with broken necks, legs, and wings. They are big scary birds and difficult to catch and maintain and are a danger to the person in their pen. They reproduce in very low numbers compared to other peafowl which makes them costly to maintain.
There are a number of breeders with pure birds that can be traced in lineage myself included. Gerald barker is the most well known green breeder in the US but there are a number of other breeders working to keep good greens alive in the US. The problem comes in the absolutely contemptible attitudes and practices of the peafowl community as a whole and the UPA as an org. I have stated it more at length in other posts.

There are a number of breeders with pure birds that can be traced in lineage myself included. Gerald barker is the most well known green breeder in the US but there are a number of other breeders working to keep good greens alive in the US. The problem comes in the absolutely contemptible attitudes and practices of the peafowl community as a whole and the UPA as an org. I have stated it more at length in other posts.
As I mentioned above there are a few breeders with pure Greens but there are also too many people that sell Spaldings as Greens which is a major problem. I agree I have no use for the UPA, especially the President and Vice President although there are a lot of members that I miss associating with at the meetings.

Back
Top Bottom