How to "Do the Deed"?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HeidiG, Jul 16, 2010.

1. HeidiG

HeidiG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hampton, VA
    No, not that deed! lol

I mean, dispatching. The roo's going into the pot, and I have no idea how to go about this. (Nor am I sure I really want to, but that's beside the point.)

Any advice for a first time chicken culler?

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you look in the Index, in the blue bar above, there is a section about Meat Birds. Go there, read the sticky notes and ask again there if you don't find the answer.

3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Youtube!!!!!

You can learn anything there.

4. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Around here you can take live birds into the meat market and they will kill and dress a bird for $2. Way worth it to me.

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    We just pop the neck here at the Funny Farm.Then I skin them because I dont want endless feather plucking.[​IMG]

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Quote:I wish there was somewhere like that here, that is fantastic. You are lucky. I am in Victoria, Australia and can't find anyone who does that around here.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We have a traffic cone that we hook to a wood picnic table that has been modified to be tall enough for the guys to be comfortable. We then pop the bird in upside down, and DH uses a very sharp kitchen knife. I think if I was going to do it I would use my garden shears. We also skin the birds. I have learned that if you freeze any of the meat that it is easier to use it if you de-bone the meat. I just watched the Jack Pepin de-bone a chicken on You Tube. All the info at the top of Meat Birds will fill in the rest.

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Put two long screws in a stump, stretch the neck, and cut off the head with a hatchet.

9. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Just happen to be surfing you tube the other night about this very topic...and was cracking up at the PETA approved method...pretty much a chicken gas chamber...but the video was a riot and I thought, now there is a method I could do...basically put the chicken to sleep until it never wakes up again...BUT who wants all those chemicals on/in their meat??? I'm not sure how that really works, I'd be a bit leary about eating something that was gassed to death...??? Not really sure why PETA approves it as a 'humane way to kill'??? But they do, I contacted them myself to see if the you tube video was telling the truth...

I want to get a load of meat birds for my family, but I can't until I muster up the nerve to whack them...or arrange for someone else to do it...or find a butcher that handles it all for $2 a bird... [​IMG] Once I sort that out, I will order some meat birds.

There is someone about 100 miles away that will do it for $6 per bird, but I would have to drive 200 round trip to drop the birds off and then 200 round trip the next day to pick them up...seems like it's going againts the whole point for me...avoiding all the traveling of foods (eating local, etc) organic, free range, save money, etc...if I were going to do that, I might as well just buy my chicken meat at the market and aim for organic chicken hoping for the best out come on the environment...

WOW...my post makes me sound like an environmental crazed person...LOL...simply concerned and attempting to do my part where I can. [​IMG]

10. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I didn't realize you couldn't use the word I used above...sorry! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by