How to dry out eggs?

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Not sure this is the best category for this but I'm not sure where else to post.

So I have 5 hens and had to put them on antibiotics. So net is, I can't eat their beautiful eggs for a month. So I'm trying to turn a negative in to a positive and preserve the eggs to make ornaments this fall.

Do you recommend blowing out the eggs? Or I've hear some people just set them out and let them dry up naturally. Anyone try this? How is it the eggs don't rot or explode?

Well I had a couple of fart eggs that I left in the fridge for about a year. One day i decided to crack one open and it was completely empty, the inside dried up and hardened. Can't even begin to guess how long full size eggs would take to evaporate, don't think I would leave them in the sun. Blowing them out might be the way to go. Hope you got strong lungs.
gig.gif
Good luck.

Yea, that was kind of my conclusion is that letting them dry out naturally will take too long.

I'm going to watch a few You Tube videos today but it sounds like you can use a syringe to inject water into the egg to get the contents to flush out. My preference is not to have to blow all these out. One, cuz that makes my jaw hurt just thinking about it and Two because they are contaminated w/ antibiotics and I'd prefer not to get that anywhere near me.

I'll give it a try. The eggs are already a total loss so I really have nothing to lose.

I've only ever seen one dried whole chicken egg. It was a very old hard boiled egg decorated for Easter. I won't go in to why it was broken, but the inside lookef like a marble. I have no idea how long it took, it wasn't intentional.

Egg shells are porous, so I would imagine in a dry, warm environment, they could dry out in theory.

I know this is an old thread, but I just opened a dozen eggs I had sitting on a shelf for about 2 years. I've been collecting fart eggs, and super tiny first eggs, and completely forgot about them. Actually, everytime I saw the tray I told myself I NEED to get to blowing those out. There was never a smell, so I ignored it. Today I shook them and they're all hollow!

So 2 years is a good length of time hahahahahaha!! Keep 'em in an egg tray at room temperature.

The nice thing is there are no blow holes! If you do plan on blowing eggs though, look online for an egg blower. They're cheap, like $5 for a handheld accordion-type air blower attached to a needle point. You prick a small hole large enough for the needle, stick the needle in, a force air into the hole. the air forces all the contents out of the hole the needle is in. No mouth blowing, no double holes. You can use the blower to squirt hot water into the egg to rinse it out. Thin shelled eggs will blow up though, so be prepared for a Jack-In-The-Box surprise every now and again.

I know this is an old thread, but I just opened a dozen eggs I had sitting on a shelf for about 2 years. I've been collecting fart eggs, and super tiny first eggs, and completely forgot about them. Actually, everytime I saw the tray I told myself I NEED to get to blowing those out. There was never a smell, so I ignored it. Today I shook them and they're all hollow!

So 2 years is a good length of time hahahahahaha!! Keep 'em in an egg tray at room temperature.

The nice thing is there are no blow holes! If you do plan on blowing eggs though, look online for an egg blower. They're cheap, like $5 for a handheld accordion-type air blower attached to a needle point. You prick a small hole large enough for the needle, stick the needle in, a force air into the hole. the air forces all the contents out of the hole the needle is in. No mouth blowing, no double holes. You can use the blower to squirt hot water into the egg to rinse it out. Thin shelled eggs will blow up though, so be prepared for a Jack-In-The-Box surprise every now and again.
Cool. Thanks for the follow up. So the eggs you had sitting, were they all fart/wind eggs or any full size eggs?
I have pretty good luck blowing them out. I've blown up a few. Which is always disappointing. But I'm getting a nice collection of my hens more creative eggs which is fun.

Yes, a lot of wind eggs, and about 8 small bantam eggs. Probably considered Pee Wee eggs if you bought eggs at an egg farm. I used to blow out all my eggs when the girls were on antibiotics, so I have tons of eggs in boxes all over the place. I gotta get to crafting them soon. I tried selling them, but there arent many pysanky or egg artists here in Hawaii. Plus they dont bother with bantam eggs.

Yes, a lot of wind eggs, and about 8 small bantam eggs. Probably considered Pee Wee eggs if you bought eggs at an egg farm. I used to blow out all my eggs when the girls were on antibiotics, so I have tons of eggs in boxes all over the place. I gotta get to crafting them soon. I tried selling them, but there arent many pysanky or egg artists here in Hawaii. Plus they dont bother with bantam eggs.

Thanks. There are tons of decorating ideas on Pintrest. Decorate them and give them away as gifts.

Back
Top Bottom