How to ease arthritis?

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
So my pekin has been diagnosed with arthritis in her legs. She's not heavy at all, but is poor genetic quality (from a lake, just some leftover ducks) and only weighs 5 pounds. I would like to take her for walks again around the park, but I would like to know how I could ease her occasional pain. Is there any foods I can give to her?

That's a good question. I am sorry the beautiful, sweet Sunny is having this problem.

I will look into a couple of things and edit this post. Just wanted you to know I am glad to "see" you again, and have been hoping you and Sunny are okay.

Be back in a while (maybe even overnight - don't know for sure).

Abrazos!

ETA1

I am always cautious about what I get the ducks to ingest, so please look into this for yourself, but I found a recommendation for ibuprofen. http://www.justanswer.com/pet-bird/1oyyo-domestic-duck-swollen-ankle-caught.html

I
would like others from this forum to weigh in on what they use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer Amiga, glad you are still here.
smile.png

She's actually doing much better! After MANY doses of antibiotics, she finally got over her respitory infection. (Though I do see damage such as varying squeaky quacks) The pain come and goes for her, and it's typically on one leg. Some days she'll have a bad limp and avoid getting up, and other days she's running around scratching with the chickens. The medicine link is really interesting, I'll have to do some more research on it!

I had a duck with joint pain that was helped with an herbal ointment I got from a health food store. It had arnica oil and some other types of oils in it and was meant to be rubbed on the skin. It had a yellow label and was named Trauma Oil I think, I gave the rest of it away. This duck had a hot swollen joint and showed immediate improvement in her movement after I put it on her. I would reapply it twice a day. Later when I talked to a vet about it she recommended glucosamine, which you can find in many animal foods and preparations and works well for arthritis and joint pains in humans. Other ingredients that would work are MSM and chondroitan.
Good luck with your girl, I know you love her a lot.

My elderly goose has arthritis and got a prescription from the vet for meloxicam. It is expensive but will last a really long time. I only put a couple of drops of the med. on a ball of bread to ease his pain and on bad days only (mostly winter). He also take an Omega-3 supplement that helps too. Good luck with yours.

Glucosamine/chondroitin seems to help me and my older dogs. It is relatively innocuous stuff, but I have no experience using it with poultry. It does take a while before it seems to start helping. (As in weeks not days.)

I will second the glucosamine. You can pick up a bottle at any store in the vitamin isle. It comes as glucosamine/condriton (sp?). I'd crush 1/2 a pill each day and just mix it in their food. It is for joint health. Prescribed for dogs and cats by many vets as an easy form of relief. Prob about $9. per bottle. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom