How to end sneezing in otherwise healthy young Marans

hennypenner

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 16, 2009
SF Bay Area, No. California
Hi evetyonešŸ˜Š Iā€™m just venturing back into hens since I had to give away my little heritage flock back in 2015. I Bought 3 French Blue Copper Marans from a local breeder in early June. The breeder delivered two of the little girls on July 1, but one was a Cukoo instead of the Blue Copper I ordered. Then the Cuckoo Maran immediately exhibited what I called heavy breathing, an upper respiratory issue which only got worse over the next couple of weeks. Finally the breeder delivered the third bird, a FBCM as ordered, but none of the emergency first aid supplies originally promised. There were no responses to my distress messages. The Cuckoo died, but the other birds seemed fine until the second Marans originally delivered, a pretty little FBCM, developed a raspy breathing sound and sneezes but nothing as alarming as what the Cuckoo Marans struggled with and apparently died from. But although this second birdie is not as sick as the Cuckoo, she still has a cough or sneeze after two more weeks. Iā€™ve given her ACV, raw garlic, electrolytes and probiotics (not all at once) but so far she still has the cough or sneeze though otherwise seems perfectly healthy and normal. I just got some nutri drench and will give her some at bedtime. Does anyone have any other suggestions and/or advice? Iā€™d appreciate any suggestions. After all Iā€™ve been through with these two little girls, Iā€™ve grown VERY attached. I forgot to mention they are quite youngā€”only 10 or 11 weeks now.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you lost one and have sick birds from this breeder, it's a shame that you are having to deal with this.
May I ask what was supposed to be included in the first aid supplies?

Hard to know what respiratory disease you are dealing with unless you have testing done.
Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are a couple of the more common diseases.
Mycoplasma is bacteria-like so symptoms can be treated with an antibiotics - Tylosin, Tetra/Oxy/Doxy Cyclines and Tiamulin (Denagard). Do keep in mind, MG makes birds carriers for life - the disease is transmitted from bird to bird and also through hatching eggs.

Infectious Bronchitis is a virus and will usually run it's course over 6-8 wks. - the above antibiotics except for Tiamulin (this only treats MG) can be used for secondary infections. Birds can be carriers for up to a year.

Here's some info on respiratory diseases
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Independent lab panel testing can be done through Zoologix http://www.zoologix.com/

Your state lab can also do testing https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/davis-lab

I'm sorry that you lost one and have sick birds from this breeder, it's a shame that you are having to deal with this.
May I ask what was supposed to be included in the first aid supplies?

Hard to know what respiratory disease you are dealing with unless you have testing done.
Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis are a couple of the more common diseases.
Mycoplasma is bacteria-like so symptoms can be treated with an antibiotics - Tylosin, Tetra/Oxy/Doxy Cyclines and Tiamulin (Denagard). Do keep in mind, MG makes birds carriers for life - the disease is transmitted from bird to bird and also through hatching eggs.

Infectious Bronchitis is a virus and will usually run it's course over 6-8 wks. - the above antibiotics except for Tiamulin (this only treats MG) can be used for secondary infections. Birds can be carriers for up to a year.

Here's some info on respiratory diseases
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Independent lab panel testing can be done through Zoologix http://www.zoologix.com/

Your state lab can also do testing https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/davis-lab
Promised items: ā€œvitamins and supplementsā€œ Tylan, Baytril, Corid-V.

I have since purchased tons of vitamins and supplements and Corid-V, but on my own canā€™t get the TYLAN, etc. without a vet prescription, and vets are $92.50 or $125 just to see the animal, with treatments and prescriptions on top of that. Iā€™m a senior on Social Security, so that seems untenable to me.

You say bronchitis lasts 6-8 weeks, so Iā€™m more than halfway there with this little gal. I guess Iā€™ll give her the Nutri-Drench and see if that helps. Sheā€™s otherwise very healthy and normal, goofy as her sister at 10 weeks of age šŸ„°.

I was hoping one of you BYC gurus would have a magic bullet, but I guess we are all just takin it day by day

Promised items: ā€œvitamins and supplementsā€œ Tylan, Baytril, Corid-V.

I have since purchased tons of vitamins and supplements and Corid-V, but on my own canā€™t get the TYLAN, etc. without a vet prescription, and vets are $92.50 or $125 just to see the animal, with treatments and prescriptions on top of that. Iā€™m a senior on Social Security, so that seems untenable to me.

You say bronchitis lasts 6-8 weeks, so Iā€™m more than halfway there with this little gal. I guess Iā€™ll give her the Nutri-Drench and see if that helps. Sheā€™s otherwise very healthy and normal, goofy as her sister at 10 weeks of age šŸ„°.

I was hoping one of you BYC gurus would have a magic bullet, but I guess we are all just takin it day by day
Those promised items, to me, say the breeder knows there is a disease problem with their birds. It's very sad that they are doing this.

If she's eating/drinking well, then I would monitor her.
Nope, no magic bullet unfortunately - good ventilation in the coop, fresh feed and water.

Tylosin is very hard to get right now, so it can be hit/miss in finding it. If it comes available, I would snag it. This would be my first choice in treating respiratory illness and something I would consider having on hand if possible.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Baytril can be purchased online too, but personally, I would be hesitant to use it, especially in young birds. It is banned for the use in poultry. I know a lot of people do use it and vets may prescribe it for various reasons as well.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

I hope she starts to get better on her own, that really would be best.
Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

Those promised items, to me, say the breeder knows there is a disease problem with their birds. It's very sad that they are doing this.

If she's eating/drinking well, then I would monitor her.
Nope, no magic bullet unfortunately - good ventilation in the coop, fresh feed and water.

Tylosin is very hard to get right now, so it can be hit/miss in finding it. If it comes available, I would snag it. This would be my first choice in treating respiratory illness and something I would consider having on hand if possible.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Baytril can be purchased online too, but personally, I would be hesitant to use it, especially in young birds. It is banned for the use in poultry. I know a lot of people do use it and vets may prescribe it for various reasons as well.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

I hope she starts to get better on her own, that really would be best.
Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

Thanks so much for the links! I purchased the Tylosin immediately, and Iā€™m so grateful for your recommendation! Iā€™ll definitely let you know how she does. Last night when I gave her the Nutri-Drench, I realized she is quite a bit smaller than her sister, who has never shown any sign of illness and who appeared to be about a week or two younger when she first came to me. So, Iā€™ll be watching and keep giving her whatever booster I can. Hopefully, sheā€™ll pick up soon.

Thanks so much for the links! I purchased the Tylosin immediately, and Iā€™m so grateful for your recommendation! Iā€™ll definitely let you know how she does. Last night when I gave her the Nutri-Drench, I realized she is quite a bit smaller than her sister, who has never shown any sign of illness and who appeared to be about a week or two younger when she first came to me. So, Iā€™ll be watching and keep giving her whatever booster I can. Hopefully, sheā€™ll pick up soon.
Great! I was hoping you would be able to order it.
Please do let me know how she gets along.

Giving my little one her NutriDrench dose tonight, I couldnā€™t hear the rattling rales! Sheā€™s only been on thr Tylosin for 3days but already seems much better. Iā€™m so grateful for your guidance. She still appears to be stunted, and Iā€™m wondering if she will stay smaller or if I can help her to get her growth back. Do you have suggestions for what I can do to help her grow again? Iā€™ll keep giving her the chick booster which contains both electrolytes and probiotics. I think Iā€™ll get some denogard to use once a month because now Iā€™m sure shehas MG.

Last edited:
Giving my little one her NutriDrench dose tonight, I couldnā€™t hear the rattling rales! Sheā€™s only been on thr Tylosin for 3days but already seems much better. Iā€™m so grateful for your guidance. She still appears to be stunted, and Iā€™m wondering if she will stay smaller or if I can help her to get her growth back. Do you have suggestions for what I can do to help her grow again? Iā€™ll keep giving her the chick booster which contains both electrolytes and probiotics. I think Iā€™ll get some denogard to use once a month because now Iā€™m sure shehas MG.
I'm glad to hear she is improving!
She may always be smaller, it's hard to know. Once she's well, she may have a growth spurt.
I would keep her on chick starter or an all flock type feed. For a treat give her some egg (all the birds can have egg - mine love it!).
The Denagard is probably a good idea. My understanding is it's very bitter, so sweeten it with juice or I've seen some add a bit of corn syrup to the mix.

Thank you for the update, I hope she makes a full recovery. Please let me know how it goes.

Sheā€™s still doing fine, but is still much smaller than her younger sister. Hereā€™s what I wrote the women who sold me the birds, West Coast Chickens Norcal:
UPDATE: The test results are back at last: two of the birds you sold me were infected with MG, Mycoplasma gallisepticum and definitely needed the Tylan you promised but never gave me. The third, little Celeste, was symptom free but now lives with an infected bird. So, as a result of being really sick with MG for the 3 weeks it took me to get my hands on Tylosin, GiGi is seriously stunted and will likely remain so her whole life, and both living birds will carry this infection their entire lives. I feel totally betrayed by you. The birds didnā€™t suffer from breathing my dirt. They were what experts call ā€œdirty,ā€ and needed to be culled. However, since they are my only two little ones, I will not cull them. Also, I see that your online payment method has changed twice or more since I dealt with you. I chose not to do a charge-back because of your family situation, but I dearly wish you had made me happy to have supported women and LGBTQ locally owned businesses. Now, your Craigslist postings say you are moving out of state, and that you are selling off part of your breeding stock even as you hatch more chicks for unsuspecting suckers like me. Good luck with that. I hope you can sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom