How to fatten up meat birds, last 2 weeks

vwright0401

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
I have about 90 CX that go to process on the 16th of May and want to put some more weight on them between now and then. Anyone have suggestions on bulking them up the last 2 weeks? So far I've seen give them cracked corn, I do give them some scratch in the evenings but can add more for the morning feedings as well. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Are you wanting to put on fat or meat? If you feed them extra corn, you'll be encouraging them to add fat. If you are wanting to put on meat, you need to feed them more regular feed or give them another week or two to grow.

We currently have them on a 22% starter/grower three times a day, and I throw them out some scratch in the evenings. Last fall we gave some of the last batch of meat birds very ripe pumpkins that one of our pumpkin patches gave us at a reduced price if we picked them out of the field... obviously I don't have that option this time of year, just curious if there are other things to bulk them up a little more.

Are you wanting to put on fat or meat? If you feed them extra corn, you'll be encouraging them to add fat. If you are wanting to put on meat, you need to feed them more regular feed or give them another week or two to grow.

I agree with this post - if the bird in question is a Cornish X, they need nothing extra to put on fat - just seems to come natural to them!

I have 7 Cornish X left (out of 22) and they are now 10 weeks old. The pullets (6) are around 9 pounds, and the one roo left is over 10. For the last 3 weeks or so I have been leaving food out for them all the time. I figured that would add weight to them before we process the rest. I keep a close eye on them to make sure they aren't having any leg issues or other health problems, but they have been fine so far. I haven't had any die on me yet (except when they were supposed to). lol

I agree with the others. They'll grow a ton in the next two weeks. We like mixing in scratch grains the last few weeks (up to half for the week), and don't end up with overly fat birds. Letting them eat when they want will help them grow faster.

Back
Top Bottom