how to feed 2 age groups different feed in same pen?

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
Ok, I have my near 14 week old white leghorns going to start eating laying pellets. I have my brooder with my soon to be 6 week old Domoniques in side the run getting "aquainted" with the leghorns. They will start on GROWER feed . If I let them out of the brooder to "play" with the big birds...how do I keep the big birds from eating their feed and visa versa?

All flock is fine. But if you want them to have separate feeds, hang the layer feeder up out of reach of the little ones. It's fine if the older birds eat chick feed, but otherwise put that in a creep feeder. Gotta take advantage of that size difference.

I do have all laying hens. A total of 9 birds.Now is the time before I open these bags to make a decision. I thought I had it figured out. Please let me know what to do!. I can by shale or anything I need. Is laying pellets just supposed to have grit or shale included in it? Is that the big difference other than shape and size? Ok, after reading that article I'm convinced to return the laying pellets!! Should I return the grower and get allflock? Remember I have ALL laying hens.

My feed store sell Lone Star feed. Figures, I am in Texas. It has always been a good quality feed. Sooo? Now just tell me what percent protein you recomend for my situation and medicated or not? I am going to drive the six miles to exchange it TODAY!

Back
Top Bottom