How to feed carrot for treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TimM, Oct 9, 2010.

1. TimM

TimM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I sliced a fresh carrot about 1/4 inch thick, thinking they would have fun pecking at the slices. (I'm a total newbie!) Instead, they half-heartedly pecked at them a little, then wandered away. Hours later the carrots were untouched, so I tossed them in the compost. Did I give up too soon? Or should I use a peeler to make thin strips? Or are carrots a bad treat?

Tim

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Carrots are fine. It may be a matter of their getting used to them. You might start by chopping them fine or running them through a food processor or, yes, use a peeler but chop any long strips. After they learn, they may peck a whole one to pieces.

Here is the BYC treat chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You'll find through experimentation that your chickens will like certain foods and not like certain foods. Mine don't like carrots (or green beans). I had one girl who would literally back away from spaghetti like it was a contageous disease while the others attacked it. I guess it's like people; some like certain foods while others don't [​IMG]

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I would try cutting it into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. I found that on average, I have to introduce treats twice before my girls really eat any of it. They are a bit 'chicken' and are scared of new things.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Mine liked carrots cooked better than raw...
    but if you dont want to cook them.. i would shred them.

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I shred the carrots and my chickens go nuts over them!

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I use the coarse side of my grater, they eat them right up. They think they're orange worms. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by