How to feed carrot for treat?

TimM

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
I sliced a fresh carrot about 1/4 inch thick, thinking they would have fun pecking at the slices. (I'm a total newbie!) Instead, they half-heartedly pecked at them a little, then wandered away. Hours later the carrots were untouched, so I tossed them in the compost. Did I give up too soon? Or should I use a peeler to make thin strips? Or are carrots a bad treat?

Tim

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
You'll find through experimentation that your chickens will like certain foods and not like certain foods. Mine don't like carrots (or green beans). I had one girl who would literally back away from spaghetti like it was a contageous disease while the others attacked it. I guess it's like people; some like certain foods while others don't
hu.gif

crawfordmama

Songster
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
The Lakes Region, NH
I would try cutting it into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. I found that on average, I have to introduce treats twice before my girls really eat any of it. They are a bit 'chicken' and are scared of new things.

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Mine liked carrots cooked better than raw...
but if you dont want to cook them.. i would shred them.

Bubbe511

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2017
Summerville, Ga

21hens-incharge

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
Does this apply to chicks also or is there a minimum age to introduce treats

It is probably best to start a new thread.....
Judy has not logged on in a few years sadly.

I think your question would fit in the raising baby chicks area here....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/raising-baby-chicks.11/

I can tell you that I personally do not introduce treats until mine are 12 weeks old. I want mine eating a proper balance and the chick starter is designed to do that.

Top Bottom