How to feed chickens pills?

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
I was told to give my chicken calcium and vitamin d3 pill. I cut them up into small pieces and tried to give it to her by opening her beak. It didn’t work so I mixed it with some meal worms she was only able to eat a bit. Later she wouldn’t eat the mealworms with the pill. Is there any good way to feed her the pill???

For that particular pill - calcium +D3 - for the kind I have, I just put a few drops of water on it & it will absorb & swell up -- then I spread that on a tiny piece or two of bread, cuz my chickens will kill for bread... The hardest part is separating out the bird that needs it! ;) You could also hide it in a spoon of yogurt, after crushing it or wetting it.

I know this sounds silly, but did you just simply offer it on the palm of your hand? Most chickens will just peck it right out of my palm when I give baby aspirin….

I was told to give my chicken calcium and vitamin d3 pill. I cut them up into small pieces and tried to give it to her by opening her beak. It didn’t work so I mixed it with some meal worms she was only able to eat a bit. Later she wouldn’t eat the mealworms with the pill. Is there any good way to feed her the pill???
Get those dog treats you hide pills in. They work well. You need to hide it well in food. You can try wet cat food too. Just enough to hide the pill.

Back
Top Bottom