How to feed silkies

Ok thanks I might try that. I didn't know feeding them cat food would be good for them. That's very interesting. What about dog food? We have some dog food that our dog doesn't like. If it is ok we could give it to the chickens.

My chickens hang out around my small garage door just hoping it gets left open so they can run inside the garage and clean up the leftover dog food that gets scattered around the floor. Of course they alway leave me a big fat thank you gift.

I have 2 silkie roosters, 1 silkie hen, 1 silkie cockeral and 1 silkie pullet. We feed our mixed flock layer pellets and scratch and they love it. The silkies are in a different pen but we feed them the same thing. I have noticed that the silkies never eat the layer pellets they only eat the scratch. If we take away the scratch they don't eat anything. What type of feed should we feed then? They don't like layer crumble, layer pellets and they don't like mixed flock feed. Any information would we helpful. Please help it is not healthy for them to be living off scratch.

My Silkies don't like pellets either. I only through them a little scratch to call them into the run at night.

My chickens hang out around my small garage door just hoping it gets left open so they can run inside the garage and clean up the leftover dog food that gets scattered around the floor. Of course they alway leave me a big fat thank you gift.

The high content of animal protein in dog/cat food is very attractive to chickens - it is an ingredient that has, unfortunately, become uncommon in commercial poultry feeds. It's always funny to hear folks worry about their cats attacking their chickens and then later seeing them post photos of their chickens eating all the cat food with a very sulky looking cat waiting nearby to be allowed back into his/her own dish.

Last edited:
The high content of animal protein in dog/cat food is very attractive to chickens - it is an ingredient that has, unfortunately, become uncommon in commercial poultry feeds. It's always funny to hear folks worry about their cats attacking their chickens and then later seeing them post photos of their chickens eating all the cat food with a very sulky looking cat waiting nearby to be allowed back into his/her own dish.

Like this you mean?
lau.gif

I supplement the Farmers Helper chick kibble for my silkies. It has the actual animal protein using fish that the chicks really love and also firms up the poo and makes it smell a LOT less which makes my life easier. You can add it straight to their feed and they have the supplement ration on the bag depending on age and size. I get the chick kibble for the silkies because the kibble for the adult birds is WAY too big for my silkies. Or you could just get the adult kibble and crush it smaller yourself, either way it works and I think the adult kibble is actually cheaper than the chick kibble too.

My chickens get a cup or two of cat food soaked in milk once a month or so. They absolutely love it. I really get some of the best eggs after that. Maybe the added protein, maybe the added calcium? Who knows but they are yummy. I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

I am surprised to hear that silkies are picky eaters. I guess mine were crosses and didn't have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom