How to feed water new chicks hatched by broody hen

dublinmeg

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 25, 2012
Our hen hatched at least 3 chicks 3-4 days ago. I’ve put chick starter in front of her and a small waterer. Will she make sure they eat and drink? I found 1 chick abandoned and nearly dead.

Does your hen still have eggs under her she is trying to hatch?
No, she’s finished. I put starter feed in and a small waterer. The feed container keeps getting full of shavings so today I tossed some in. They seem to be eating.

You can see the water and momma is scratching the floor so the food is available

Attachments

• CEA7CE10-80F2-4740-B85F-69A09FAA152E.png
    CEA7CE10-80F2-4740-B85F-69A09FAA152E.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
I feed a hen with new babies either scrambled egg or some other form of delicious "mush" for the first few days such as soaked chicken feed with raw egg mixed in, cooked oatmeal with raw egg etc... They get a dish first thing in the morning and at bedtime.

If the hen really likes the food she will feed the babies right then and there. Dry starter feed isn't all that appetizing. Having your hand near the dish when they are eating is also a good time to start taming them.

If you elevate the food and water on a sturdy box or cinder block will keep it from filling up with shavings, just make sure there is a way for the chicks to climb up and down safely. An old towel draped over the side that they can climb up works well.

Last edited:
I feed a hen with new babies either scrambled egg or some other form of delicious "mush" for the first few days such as soaked chicken feed with raw egg mixed in, cooked oatmeal with raw egg etc... They get a dish first thing in the morning and at bedtime.

If the hen really likes the food she will feed the babies right then and there. Dry starter feed isn't all that appetizing. Having your hand near the dish when they are eating is also a good time to start taming them.

If you elevate the food and water on a sturdy box or cinder block will keep it from filling up with shavings, just make sure there is a way for the chicks to climb up and down safely. An old towel draped over the side that they can climb up works well.
Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the towel. I usually elevate but knew the chicks wouldn’t reach.
No way is momma letting me get a hand near! She’s really protective. It’s ok. We have 4 other relatively trained hens.

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the towel. I usually elevate but knew the chicks wouldn’t reach.
No way is momma letting me get a hand near! She’s really protective. It’s ok. We have 4 other relatively trained hens.

She might let you come closer if you come bearing good food. If she is unfriendly expect the babies to be wild until they start laying. They will be too fast to catch very soon.

Our nests are rather high off the ground. If the hen flies down off the nest and tut-tutts her chicks, they can’t reasonably fly down out of the nest. They need to be with their mother, though.

When a broody hen has a hatch, we catch the hen first (squawking of course) and put her in a cage prepared with food and water (with marbles). Then we run the babies over to her.

The chicks are a little wild and aloof this way because they’re hen-raised. Some hens won’t let me change the brooder bedding but others will. The chicks aren’t completely wild though because of seeing a human frequently bringing food and water.

If I had to do anything important (like introduce another chick) while the hen was still broody, would do that at night.

Back
Top Bottom