How to feed your chickens for FREE!

My story. I recently observed the manager of the local SubWay sandwich shop throwing away loaves of bread that didn't "look" good enough to sell. Fresh, just not good looking. I explained I was a neighber and small chicken farmer. Anyway, he said I could have any bread that went in the trash (which is quite a bit). SubWays are a franchise and independently owned. I have 2 of them near me, and they are both cooperative. Bread is jut a treat, of course, never all the chickens get. We also have bakery outlets nearby, a whold box (large) of day-old bread (whole grain) for $1.25 - can't go wrong. Hope this helps.

It's sad that this is getting harder and harder, but it's not 100% the fault of the stores- they are simply looking out for their own interests. It can be crippling for a business to get sued, and while I do feel they have responsibilities to the environment, etc, their number one priority is profit (as in any business- that's capitalism). And it's none of OUR fault either (unless you've ever filed a frivolous lawsuit, and I'm going to assume that you, my BYC peeps, haven't) so it sucks that we have to suffer for it. But this is why I support legislation like the cheeseburger bill despite being very anti-fast food/corporation. People shouldn't be able to eat a Big Mac every day and then turn around and blame McDonalds when they get fat and suffer from the accompanying health issues.

Basically I'm just ranting and have no point:) Maybe just don't blame the stores for being self interested. I used to work at Starbucks and we did the same with sandwiches- not only did we throw away anything that was expired even though it was usually just fine, we opened the wrapper and dumped stuff over the sandwiches in the trash so someone couldn't dig one out of the dumpster and turn around and sue. Yes, Starbucks can handle a lawsuit here and there (they already do- wanna know how many class action notifications I've gotten as an ex-employee over stupid issues like tips? I never return them), but it's pretty sad how many people out there are looking for a payday without regard to anyone else. And my manager also gave the other reason- that if we employees were allowed to eat expired stuff we would try to hide or hold back stuff just to have it ourself. And it's sad, but that's exactly what probably would have happened. However, since I was a supervisor I occasionally would let my employees fudge that... And to their credit, that was only sandwiches and all expired pastries were donated to a battered women's shelter (that varied by location, but all locations donate to somewhere).

Quote:
I get 6-10 eggs a day from 12 layers, two are broody (there will always be two or more broody in my flock).

Apparently my chooks all take about the same day off, I average in a week 9 eggs a day.

We raise veggies and our animals get chemical free produce from the farm...all the time! luckies!! I have to be careful not to give too much though because once when I gave them so many melons, they wouldn't eat their main food!!!! So much like me, when I eat too much homemade ice cream!
smile.png

=======================================================
Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
12+ Easter Egger Eggs (Lavendar Ameracauna rooster in pen!)
10+ Wheaten Marans Hatching eggs

I called my local Kroger this afternoon and am waiting to hear from the manager.
caf.gif
I will let you know how I fare! Thanks for the idea!
wee.gif

Another good idea for the "recycling/thrifties"- we put up fence posts on one of our two acres last summer for free! We called our local Electric Co-op (we are members), and asked about used poles that were being replaced. They actually dropped them right in our yard when they were replacing poles in our area.
smile.png

We got a very sturdy fence that will be here for a LONG time!

Check with SMALL places, they are less likely to have policies or corporate input on this.
Try the food vendors at the local flea markets. The fruit/veggie guy at the flea market, or farmers market. Diners and family owned restaurants. A local bakery. Small nursing home facilities, or group homes.

Trading eggs is big! I give a dozen eggs to the food stand at a local flea market (for the owners) and they save me all their commercial egg cartons. I get about a dozen cartons a week from them.

That's a great idea! My parents are always telling me "don't buy all those treats for the chickens, it's wasting your money". This is a great way to get their treats for free!

Over the summer I went to a local Mega Foods grocery store 3days a week. I got so much "waste" produce that it took me hours to pick through it all and ready it for chickens/compost, etc... My husband asked me to stop doing it because of how long it took me. I just asked him if I could start doing it again one day a week... time to call Mega and see if they will let me do it again
smile.png

Also, Anyone gather rain water for their chickens? Is this an okay thing to do? I have been thinking about digging a pond hole and using rain barrels to fill the pond over time... but also thought maybe I could use this rain water for my chickens (and of course the garden).

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom