How to find a good gamefowl breeder?

Hello,
I'm not new to chickens, but I'm new to gamefowl and I'd like to start breeding gamefowl for breed preservation purposes. Possibly Aseel or Old English for the historical value, but it really depends on what I can get.

Yes, I understand the penning requirements. I've read the books and know what I'm getting into.

There is a semi-local gamefowl breeder with reputable bloodlines (Bobby Boles, Sam Gowdy) but they want $500 per chick. I tried asking if they might sell me some hatching eggs or culls, but my inquiry went unanswered and I probably offended them.

Can any breeders offer input regarding where I should look for quality stock, and how much it should cost? My goal is to keep the breed going for future generations, so I want good breeders, not hatchery stock.
Start with Craigslist. From there, call a gamefowl breeder and don’t ask anything that may seem silly to someone who is a serious breeder. Know what you’d like to find out beforehand, and ask about their fowl, be respectful. History, how long they kept a particular family, how much they weigh once mature, temperament, favorite strain if they have multiple and know that if they are not hatchery fowl, they are likely not cheap fowl. You can find affordable, quality fowl this way.

Livestock auctions can be a roll of the dice but I’ve found quality gamefowl at big spring auctions before.

I have a friend got asils.I never cared for Asil accually.Except hens for hatching.Majority were slow and head hunters like old school SH fowl.However I seen a friend of mine obtain some from somewhere a few years ago are more than impressive.I myself don't have fowl any more because of health issues.I know I can obtain fowl from him. If U wished.I do not peddle fowl never have and never will.I don't know much about this site and as far as I know no PM are allowed here.If so I could ask if he part with a trio.I would have to ask him if I could give his info out Only he be opened to let any part.Other than that I am useless.However those fowl are the best Asil I seen the 40 years in which I have seen .cheers

Other than that ole bouyou feller by the name Jerry Hamlin got Asils are just as good as they get.Been many years ago . However if he's still kicking I bet they still more go that show.Word travels fast on reputable fowl also it does if they peddle trash.Cheers

I raised game dogs also .They have pedigree s and The paper is just a stamp of offspring.Still you are at the breeders word.Paper can be manipulated also.However if you got many known CH and Gr CH the. Odds increase . However the seller is honest you more than likely get a good dog.If not ohh well learning exspensive exsperience Reputable gamefowl are exspensive and the same goes the seller honest you get good fowl.One thing for certain they brag a lot the fowl or dogs are lacking something.A person got good animals other people do the talk for them Cheer's

Can't go wrong with a good family of Hatch fowl.They cross well with about anything.Beautiful power and grit cheers

Harold Brown sold fowl for decades and remained to have a good reputable name.Hats off to Harold Brown Red Fox Farms RIP you were a straight shooter

I would highly recommend Jerry Lawrence of Pleasanton, TX.
Do a search for JBL FARM
He has some youtube videos, call him if your serious about buying. He is fair and honest and has some very good and rare bloodlines.
Jerry Lawrence
4808 Coughran Rd, Pleasanton, TX 78064

I think he might have a facebook page too

Tell him John Morse (Pagemaker) reffered you

Remember if the person still shows his gamefowl he will not sell u his best. That doesn't mean they wont send u good honest bloodlines. Just not their best. The best performance animals are always obtained by friendship with the breeder they generally will be given to u rather than sold.
Jerry no longer shows his fowl but is interested in preserving their genes and will sell u good ones.

Last edited:
You said a mouthful there friend.The best fowl I ever got were gifted to me.Money couldn't buy them.However I'm sure they are a handful of people that are fairly straight shooters.Do your home work ask around.The internet good word and bad word travels even faster.Best of luck on ur questcheers

Back
Top Bottom