How to find Chickens that are Hiding

weyermann

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2019
A dog came on my property and caused chaos. Everyone scattered and it tooks me HOURS to find everyone, and well past dark. Question: Is there a better way to find them? I have to get right up on them, the ultimate 'hide and seek'. I have woods and lots of brush - and use a broom to make it easier - Any better tips out there?

It's really hard in the dark. Chickens pretty much shut down once the sun sets. A flashlight would be my got-to. I start all my young chickens very early learning to come to the "Chick-chick-chick!" call for some kind of treat. If any go missing during the day I can usually give the call and they'll come running from their hide-out. Not so much at night, though.

I'm curious to see what other people do with their flocks.

I've struggled with the same thing, so also looking for input. Once the sun is gone and it's dark, they don't move around. They cannot see in the dark like some animals can.
I have gone out with flashlights in search of them at nighttime, but very rarely spot them. My dog usually helps locate them in these situations.
Hoping they roosted or tucked themselves in somewhere safe. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom